xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Laos

Virtual Reality

Virutal RealityEither you want to take part in Hannibals' invasion on Italy, or bath in the suns of tatooine, or even just sit with your dream girl in the Bahamas. In the end you can't really do it ( well, MOST of it :P ) without virtual reality, basically, virtually is 2 things.1. a Unit that changes all you see into a virtual world, event, or place.2. Turns emptiness into "Virtual Surroundings" or even connects similarities with these objects with real ones ( like they turn a box next to you into a storage bin from the future"It's quite an amazing thing, but we are still gripping is slightly, What we have today based on Virtual Reality is crap, pretty soon it will be more realistic and better than ever...Share your thoughts :)

virtual reality is going too far, yeah sure its ok but if someone gets addicted to it they will get confused with the real world, even cause psychological problems. E.g. say if some loser who failed thoughout their education and ended up living in a dead end flat with a dead end job got virtual reality where they had a perfect life, a pretty wife, perfect job, big house and got used to it and then eventually realised that it was all fake. He would think that he is a loser not worth living and probably end up killing him/herself.But hey thats just my opinion.

All i have ever seen is those video games that you hope into. But its not even "Virtual Reality." Somehting liek the Matrix is an official example of virtual reality. It feels real and it can kill you.... It is this that amke the future of Virtual Reality scary to me.

matrix was more of a PSycholgical basic idea, you see, you were " Plugged in" par say, not running around in a body suit with a scope on your head.VR should be limited, maybe for Military, or for Survival Games, or ur rich and want a real looked in View of the FPS you play in your spare time, that would be really cool, but yeah you see it all as a myth, sad...

virtual reality is going too far, yeah sure its ok but if someone gets addicted to it they will get confused with the real world, even cause psychological problems. E.g. say if some loser who failed thoughout their education and ended up living in a dead end flat with a dead end job got virtual reality where they had a perfect life, a pretty wife, perfect job, big house and got used to it and then eventually realised that it was all fake. He would think that he is a loser not worth living and probably end up killing him/herself.
But hey thats just my opinion.

If life was that bad wouldn't he try to commit suicide already? And maybe if he did get a glimpse of how life could be he would try and make it happen. It depends on the person and their mentality things.

VR isn't really that real looking and can be quite bulky to make it a form of mainstream enterainment although the few I have tried are pretty cool but it still has quite a long way to go before everyone will consider and use it as a form of entertainment.

Although there are other uses for it. Like the military training their pilots and tank drivers. And maybe in the future they can simulate a full on war for training. In fact why stop there. Why not have all our wars virtually. That way no one can die, places won't be destroyed and war probably wouldn't be considered a bad thing to do. Although with the lack of deaths a sudden increase with the worlds population would occur and we'd end up depleteing the planet of it's food and other resources.

But anyway. Another way I've seen virtual reality used is to help cure patients. One way was giving a burn patient VR to take his mind of the pain when the doctors have to peel of the burnt skin every few days. Another was helping a phobia patient overcome their fear. I think the case I read about had arachnophobia and they put on a VR headset so he could move towards a virtual spider and they had a fuzzy fake spider in front of him so when they touch the the virtual spider they feel something in real life.

To be honest with you I don't really see a practical use for Virtual Reality, out side of gaming. It is my opinion that this 'technology' has no real use, sure you can use it for a more complete involvement in games, but I don't see a usefull application for it. Ok so I suppose it could be used for training purposes, especially within the military, and emergancy services. but a practical application, I don't realy see how it can be used, as it does not allow for any interaction with the real world, and is therefore of little practical use.What I think however could be of real value is something which is knowed as 'remote prescense', this is where a guy in a 'virtual reality' suite is linked up to an entity which is used to represent him, which he can control remotely, kind of like a remote control car, only bigger. Ok so this technology is currently available in a limited capacity, but I am talking about proper humanoid entities which can interact with the real world and maybe even allow the operator to 'feel'. This has obvious practical uses within the military and emergency services.VR is cool and all (and will no doubt be massive once it has developed fully), but I personally don't see a use for it outside of pleasure, and posssibly for training purposes (and even then surely a real experience is better) anyway these are just my current view, which will probably change as soon as I see a practical application of VR.

Well, virtual reality isn't just "crap", like numerous people say. Come on, think about this guys. In ths 1600's, we have acting, or as they call it, "plays". Then something extradinary came out, called the "black and white TV!". Which was more real than ever. Then the "color" TV. Later, wow, the HD (high definition) TV comes out, then boom, plasma TV. Now, in movie theaters, some movies are actually in 3-D now. Imagine what vitual reality willl be like in...say 100 years? Maybe you can actually feel the objects what they're showing (don't think dirty. be mature. :) I know what you're thinking). :D Virtual reality is great, hopefully, it will be improve more, and let's see what this world will be like. Maybe flying cars with virtual reality. I have no clue what I'm saying. :P The future is so scary. :D

i think novaterra is right, it isnt just crap but i way to entertain or just to see what the tecnology can really does....in my personal opinion there are some apps very amazing, i have been in some simulators and i really love when i am in a spa and watching some beaches or just seeing something... i remember one very good at six flags some time ago...it was a ship that has to go and travel among dinosaurs in some kind of jurassic park lol, it had a seat with force feedback and all that i really liked it and i hope to return one day...