xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jmb2006

Been Expelled

lol today i got expelled from my school because they think i hacked them, all i did was go into school with my laptop and connect to there network with an ethernet cable and browse the net.oh and captured a few kilobytes of data with ethereal.oh come on whats so bad about that :)do you think they went overboard in expelling me?

I really do not see why you were expelled either. How did they even know who's computer was on the network is my question. I would never connect to the internet using an ethernet cable because schools seem to be very annoying when it comes to their networks. They only want it used for school business only so you are probably just being used as an example. Appeal to the school board or something you did not do anything wrong.

I agree! I would appeal to the school board or something. Maybe if you showed them what you were doing they might be a little more understanding. You might be suspended or something but you shouldn't be expelled. Unless you really were doing something that they were already warned about or something pretty well wrong... I'm done.

ok so its like this: the ICT technicians at my school are complete idiots, once last year at beginning of year 10 i managed to open up a program on the server that allows teachers to control the users in the same classroom, well i managed to get access to this program and had some fun with it, ever since then the technicians have banned me from the computers on the network, occassionally allowing me back on the computers only to ban me a few days later, well the last time i got banned all i did was go the UK Hacker News Network (*edit*[dot]com), its just a news website and they banned me and what was they're excuse "We checked your internet log and found you have been visiting hacking websites and we have banned you because of this." all i have to say on the matter is W.T.F. dry.gif

Had I not read this earlier post from you in another thread, I would have agreed with what the people who replied earlier said. It seems that this is not an isolated incident. With the school already suspicious of your activites on their network, it wouldn't surprise me at them deciding to expel you. If you get accepted back, I suggest you use the pc like most others do and stop being so curious about the network - you know what it did to the cat!
Edited by tt3 (see edit history)

suspension yeah by not being expelled, thats why you use a school computer and not your wn when logging into a school network, best thing you can do is tell them to get a list of the websites that you went to and see see that you were not doing any harm.

That just sounds weird. You sound like your not really mad?? Or your just hiding it behind your words?I think its overboard that they would expell you without any sustantial proof that you hacked into their network or anything. Unless they have some rule about that. I still think that's wack...

Man that really sucks. Theres this kid in my class who always bring his laptop to our first period class and nothing happens to him. I mean that is really going overboard, you should file a complaint for being treated this way. And they have no proof that you were actually hacking

Had I not read this earlier post from you in another thread, I would have agreed with what the people who replied earlier said. It seems that this is not an isolated incident. With the school already suspicious of your activites on their network, it wouldn't surprise me at them deciding to expel you. If you get accepted back, I suggest you use the pc like most others do and stop being so curious about the network - you know what it did to the cat!

Yeh, sounds like something more than meets the eye is going on here. jmb2006 are you giving us the whole story? If you used the school network to log onto the internet, you were in the wrong. I would interpret this to be a kind of hacking, myself. Naughty, naughty. However, I think that suspension would have been an appropriate punishment. Expelling you is a little harsh.

Now the truth comes out. Even after my original opinion being posted, I think that there is a little more than what was first posted... Perhaps you could add a little more info? I still think a little suspension was needed but I'm still sticking with the original- expulsion was a bit harsh... Unless there's more to the tale...

Edited by Sinari (see edit history)

That's odd that they expelled you for that. Usually if they think a student did something wrong, they'll suspend the kid for a while. You should ask them if they have proof that you hacked them. If they don't, maybe there's someone you can go to in the school, such as a counselor or teacher you trust, that can get you allowed in that school again. (Make sure the person you pick is someone who knows how to use a computer.)

lol today i got expelled from my school because they think i hacked them, all i did was go into school with my laptop and connect to there network with an ethernet cable and browse the net.
oh and captured a few kilobytes of data with ethereal.

oh come on whats so bad about that :)

do you think they went overboard in expelling me?

hahaha you deserve to be expelled. what's funny is the fact that you think they went overbaord. you know. i wasn't the best kid when i was young. in fact, i probably made my parents lives hell at some point or another, but if i got caught doing something i knew i shouldn't, i accepted my punishment like a man knowing i was wrong.

not only should you be expelled, you should have your laptop taken away. if i was the school, i wouldn't have just expelled you, but arrested you util it was found out what sort of security you captured. don't play stupid. been there, done that

Look my school can do the same to you. You don't get expelled for just "Hacking". Your not telling us the whole story, and are using this as a False Sense of Security, that you did nothing wrong. Justed "browsed the web". Look what anwii said.. your just making your self look stupid. What did you really get expelled for. They can't just "expell" you. And btw is your schools name HCPS?

I don't really know all that much about networking, but I do know this: Typically, school's keep a log of the sites you visit (and at my school, some teachers can actually see what's on your screen from their computer). I couldn't see a school expelling just simply because you connected to their network and surfed the net. However, if that is how it happened, then they did go a little overboard.

Also there is the fact that most schools usually block outside computers (PCs and laptops not owned by the school) from accessing the network. This includes students and teachers alike so maybe you found a way round that or exploited a weakness in there security. If you did then you deserved what you got and should take it like a grown up and not come crying to the forums and posting half truths.

I'm a computer tech at my school, and I know that the price for just going on the internet is not that high. Even for trying to get around the firewalls only gets you a 6 weeks loss of computer privilages. There is something you are "omitting" from your story, cuz there is no reason to get expelled for just getting on the internet.