xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
saint

Ruby - Better Programming Language Than Java And C#? Ruby is an object-oriented, meta-programming language that has many de

hey all i read this very intresting and intriguing article and i thought i should share it here..

find example codes in the attached file.

cheerz!
saint

Ruby A Diamond of a Programming Language?

Have you heard about Ruby? It seems to be a popular topic in software development circles today. This language came to my attention at a Java conference last spring, where gentlemen like Bruce Tate (author of Bitter Java and Better, Faster, Lighter Java), Dave Thomas (Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master), and others were all talking about Ruby and telling many of us in the audience it deserved a look.

Now, if you are like me,you've been developing software for some time and you know that while learning a new programming language can be fun, you've been through enough of them that you probably look a little skeptically at another programming language. After all, the programming language wars in the '80s and '90s culminated in the conclusion that there are essentially two camps: the Java world and the development languages that Microsoft supported on .NET. Its not that I didn't want to learn another language, I just expected that the days of switching programming languages to gain a technological advantage were over. However, given the stature of these gentlemen in the industry, I decided to take a look.
Well, "I've been to the mountain top" so to speak and this article is a report on what I've found regarding Ruby. Bottom line up front, Ruby has some very nice features and is worth your investigation.

Setting Up Ruby
Ruby is an open source programming language developed by Yukihiro "Matz" Matsumoto in Japan in the mid-90s (for more on the history of Ruby, check out this article by its founder. Ruby can be obtained at /en/. Originally built as a scripting language, it is available for many platforms, including Linux, many flavors of UNIX, MS-DOS, Windows, BeOS, Amiga, Acorn Risc OS, and MacOS X. As of this writing, the latest version of Ruby is 1.8.4. For those using Windows platforms, click here for the "one-click" Windows installer. Along with the base Ruby binaries and libraries, this download comes with several helpful (and free) IDEs and tools, including: documentation and sample code, RubyGems Package Manager, FreeRIDE (Free Ruby IDE), Fox GUI Libraries, fxri (a search engine and GUI guide to Ruby's documentation, along with an interactive command line tool), and SciTE (Scintilla Text Editor IDE). As of this writing, the "stable" version of Ruby offered through the Windows installer is 1.8.2, with a 1.8.4 version in preview form. This article was written using the 1.8.2 version of the Windows installer.

The installation of Ruby using the Windows installer is straightforward. You download and run a simple install executable (ruby182-15.exe for version 1.8.2) that initiates a standard install wizard. The download file is about 15MB and will take up almost 40MB when the wizard completes the install of Ruby on your Windows platform.

For those dedicated to using their favorite editors to program, a number of familiar editors offer Ruby support to include emacs, vim, JEdit, Jed, Nedit, and Textpad. Of course, there is also a Ruby Eclipse project. Ruby Development Tools (RDT) is an Eclipse plug-in that is still early in development but available here. Also emerging on the market are a number of inexpensive Ruby IDEs. Arachno Ruby is one such example.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Please use QUOTE tag when copying another source. Quote this big should just be accompanied by a link and your own contribution. Review Xisto Readme for forum posting rules.

Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

Yeah, I was reading it the other day. Im kind of excited about it because it looks like programming will get really easy. Im probably still going to have to practice c, but I wont have to care about the other languages (delphi, .net, java) anymore. Im going to start practicing ruby and try to learn it, it seems like it is going to have a very bright future since the future of programming is the web. The only thing im not to sure about it is that there is no xml, but at least thats what I read. I suppose they must use something better, Ill find out when I actually start practicing and read more about it.The examples I have seen on the web definetely look easier than other languages, very logical and easy to understand, and whats best? its Open source.Maybe a place for ruby should be open in these forums, I will definetely be posting there I can assure you.

I also heard about Ruby. Never use it before. I already notice that it is much better language then Java or C#. One of you guys think the future in Ruby is good. What i know about Ruby is very few people start to practice on this programing language. Still this is not that popular language. Java is also Open source. I know Java little bit. Now have there any one who can tell me what is basic difference between [Java/C#] and [Ruby].