xisto Community
itssami

Webpage Extension ".do"

What kind of page extension of web pages ".do" is ?? is some kind of programming language , like php thing ??

for example
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

like there are usually , .html , .htm , .asp, .aspx , .php and many others too.. but i never saw this kind of extension before..can some one tell what kind of language these kind of pages use ?

If you own a server, you can process PHP files with the extension with .do. All you have to do is set the extension type in php.ini file.My point is, it is not necessary that Extensions determine the engine used by a server.

Changing the extention can be an added security feature. Scripts that hackers created would most probably bypass that URL as it could be treated as an invalid URL since the extention is customised.It can also, on the other hand, be a dangerous script running on a private server that could be programmed to steal information. Scams, and look-a-like webpages can be done with such extentions, and obtain user's information without the user knowing. Because the extention can be customised, it's sometimes not easy to spot the differences between a real URL and the scam URL in a glance. Users may just click the link in their email without much thinking, assuming the email is a real document.

I think that it is some Web programming thing. I know that it's been used on some big name web sites, including HPShopping.com (look carefully in your address bar on any page other than the home page; example, click the Notebooks link, and look in your address bar). I don't know what language or technology uses this, but one thing's for sure: it's an enterprise grade framework.