xisto Community
GENERAL

Books Converted Into Movies Or Movies Into Books. Once again I find a new topic about something and movies...

For the most part, I think they do a pretty good job putting books into movies. I didn't read the Harry Potter books but like the movies, and I have heard that they don't do them justice. But, I know specifically that Narnia was pretty awesome and stuck to the book pretty well. I can tell you one time where I was really pissed though, and that was the DaVinci Code. It was so good and stuck so well to the book until the last half hour. They TOTALLY changed the ending, mixing around the order that things happened, combining scenes, and ending it completely different from the book. Sometimes I hate Hollywood--they can really ruin great literature.

I prefer Books converted into movies. Hands down. I find that movies converted into books result in a poorly written story. Most of the text relies on the reader having seen the movie to create the visual image, and the conversations are useless. I also find that if I see the movie then read a book about it, I already have an image of the characters. I think its better for the reader to create their perseption of the characters then its always interesting comparing them to those in he movie. :)

I dislike watching films of books I know. Mostly because I know that if I do watch them that I will start complaining when parts are missed out, or bits are changed (you should have heard me when I first watched the first Harry Potter film :)) I also know that the film would probably annoy my own perspective of the book that it originated from, which is something I also try to avoid.Likewise I try to avoid the book that films (or tv series) is based on because all I see is the show/film characters playing the roles, which can sometimes distort the descriptions of the events in the book.

So much of Harry Potter and no talk about Narnia and Golden Compass? IMO, book adaption into movies is something demanding since visual experience can be different with reading books as not many love to read a 400 pages paperback. Still it did be really interesting to see how will they tell their version of story with those fictional characters that is based from the books.I have no say on Harry Potter as i only watched the movies but not reading the books but i would have to say Golden Compass really did a great job in the book to movie adaption. Though it have some discontinuity between the book's story and the movie but still 90% similarity could content the book reader who watched the movie.