xisto Community
andrescasta

Ibm Laptops, Who?

Hello, my brother is goint to buy a laptop, he needs a IBM, because he use software that only runs in Windows 98, and the only brand that give support for older OS is IBM. Also he needs a laptop with serial port, So he has 2 alternatives, the IBM T40/41/42 (Centrino Based) but these ones doesn't have serial port, And the IBM T30 (P-4-M 2.0ghz), any knows if this one is a good laptop for work? (Including battery life)Thank's in advance....

IBM still makes computers? Didn't they go out of buisness like 2 years ago or something like that? Anyway, you don't need a old laptop or an ibm one to run windows98. You can run windows 98 programs on xp as well, just left click on the icon and then go to compatibility. Or you can just buy an up to date laptop and install windows 98 on, which is really cheap right now.

IBM still makes computers? Didn't they go out of buisness like 2 years ago or something like that? Anyway, you don't need a old laptop or an ibm one to run windows98. You can run windows 98 programs on xp as well, just left click on the icon and then go to compatibility. Or you can just buy an up to date laptop and install windows 98 on, which is really cheap right now.

they dont even sell Win 98 now...I had to get it off limewire when I built a computer out of spare parts a few weeks ago...

its just impossible to find it froma good reseller! My advice would be to use 2000 instead of 98 if you HAVE to use either at all...

It seems that the T40/41/42s will "last longer", meaning they won't be obsolete soon, thinking of all that wi-fi stuff. About serial, USB is a serial port, and there are even hardware adapters. Yet, maybe your brother should consider asking for a used laptop with all those things he needs, and with Win98 Installed, I'm pretty sure any would be cheap.

You could try to use that applications in windows xp using the compatibility option that it has.... Now related to IBM,I have a R51 and its a great equipment.Go ahead and buy.

IBM/Lenovos are one of the best built laptops out there. NOT the R series or the cheapo series. Look for the Z series or the X series which is a solid computer. BTW, why would you need a company to support win98? There is tons of support online.