xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
psychiccyberfreak

I Think Mandriva Free Is A Scam

I downloaded mandriva 2006 free for my laptop, and it kept being corrupted when I downloaded it. I finaly download it at a friends house and install it on my laptop on a seperate partition. Then I was so compitent that I uninstalled the programs that I didn't need on windows. (Stuff that I had on the linux partiton) So Later on it just keeps screwing up and now I have no programs to work with... It's really annoying, so I wanted to buy it, but its like 80 dollars, should I buy it?

I personally wouldn't buy it, there are so many other well made versions of Linux out there for free, I got Fedora Core 4 and it works very well. Red Hat, Suse and the other main stream Linuxes are also very good.

I'm going to see if I can get ahold of some ISOs of my friend's Linux distro he wrote.. it's called Janus. It's geared toward extreme network security and wireless. It's got some monster encryptions =) But ya, if he gets me an ISO and gives me permission I'll figure out a way to get the ISO online (torrents or something) for folk to download if their interested.

Why don't u just some debian based distros since they're famous for not getting u onto dependancy hell?try SymplyMepis or Kanotix and why not Ubuntu/Kubuntu? I myself like the first 2 cause they are closer to debian but ubuntu forums simply rocks.Ah, of course SimplyMepis and Kanotix are also LiveCDs so you can boot right from the cd and give it a try.Hope this helped anything:)

Edited by realthor (see edit history)

I'm going to see if I can get ahold of some ISOs of my friend's Linux distro he wrote.. it's called Janus. It's geared toward extreme network security and wireless. It's got some monster encryptions =) But ya, if he gets me an ISO and gives me permission I'll figure out a way to get the ISO online (torrents or something) for folk to download if their interested.

If you want I can be a mirror for your friend, e-mail me

bj@psychdesigns.net

Why don't u just some debian based distros since they're famous for not getting u onto dependancy hell?try SymplyMepis or Kanotix and why not Ubuntu/Kubuntu? I myself like the first 2 cause they are closer to debian but ubuntu forums simply rocks.Ah, of course SimplyMepis and Kanotix are also LiveCDs so you can boot right from the cd and give it a try.
Hope this helped anything:)

Yeah I tried a whole bunch of distros. I don't like gnome cause it's butt ugly, more ugly then windows. Most of the distros you mentioned use gnome, and it's tough to change the default. My DSL line is really bad so I wanted to know if anybody could make isos of mandriva, debian, suse, or kubuntu for me. (I like RPM based distros) and zip them in .tar.gz format I would really appreciate it. So if you have any other suggestions, that would be great.
Edited by psychiccyberfreak (see edit history)