xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
keysmaker

300 Gb Discs (like Normal Cd's) Storage

OmG!!! i got astounted when i noticed that Optware is designing a disc capable to store upto 300 GB, also file transfer rates are quick enough to burn the entire disc in less than 30 minutes!!!

But theres a small problem.... the reader drive too expensive: $2700and the writer drive...... much more expensive : $20,000, also each disc will cost $100

Check it out http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/24/maxell_holo_storage/ and http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Yes this technology is super expensive and such because its the cutting edge. I am pretty sure that in a few years that will go down in price. As technology advances and the supply and demand go up the price comes down. LOok at the prices of computers. They used to be so much more expensive. Just like DVD, VCR, and Microwaves. These days those things are way cheaper than they were when they first came out. Its all pretty darn amazing.

I kind of don't think this is a good idea. Discs can start to lose data because of old age. Also its hard to keep a disc clean and not scratched up. You will eventually drop the disc and get scratches on your hundred dollar disc and won't be able to read some of your data or the disc may skip while playing music on your pc.Also if your wanting to transfer files to another persons computer, most people on this world are probably to poor to invest in something like that so they can read your files. Also in reply to the message saying that 300gb is not enough storage in the future, 300gb would probably last long enough for your wholoe life, think about it, world of warcraft is a very large game and its about 3 gb large. So you could fit world of warcraft onto this disc 100 times. They had the right idea but I would not trust putting all my precious data onto one disc and hoping it doesn't mess up.

I personally think it's a nice new idea, having CD's that are capable of storing this amount of data, as technology is always increasing and more disk space is required.
However, I can see the down side aswell. Scratching a CD, damaging or somehow else managing to stop a disk from working is just too easy in my opinion. If the company or user pays a lot of money for their reader and writer, they want to be sure that it will last a while and not go outdated in hurry, therefore I don't think this is necessary yet.

I reckon they should concentrate on items similar to USB pen drives, as opposed to compact disks. At the end of the day, it's harder to break a USB pen than a CD. The transfer speed is probably also quicker on the USB port, as it supports the extremely fast transfer speed.

This is just my opinion on this new amount of Disk space on a CD. Cheapest method at the moment, is to buy a lot of hard drive disk space, which is just as effective and faster. I reckon they should concentrate on these or the USB pens. I would say floppies, but these are old now and are prone to damage. Plus, because of their workings, it's only possible to have a very minute amount of data held.

Thanks for sharing this with us. Always nice to know how well technology is doing in the improvement process! :lol:

Did anyone even bother to look at the images? Note the return to the solid cd caddy?

the reader and write is expensive but the cds r cheap 100 dollars for 300gb is gr8 take a look at a 250gb hard disk its bout 100 too and u can take it where ever u go flash drives much more expensive so its cheap

Do you remember these famous quotes?

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."

- Thomas Watson, Senior, Chairman of IBM, 1943

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than ten tons"

- Popular Mechanics, 1949

"But what is it good for?"

- IBM Engineer on the microchip, 1968

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home"

- Ken Olser, President, Digital Equipment Corp., 1977

"640K ought to be enough for anybody"

- Bill Gates, Chairman of Microsoft, 1981

The world is a quickly changing place, and once, we actually believed fitting 650-700MB on a single disk (CD-ROM) was alot of space. But now, we have DVD-ROMs that can hold more than 8GB. Think about it... a DVD-ROM that holds 8GB of data has about 50,000 times the capacity of the once popular 160k, 5.25 inch, single-sided floppy disk, and only 425 times the capacity of a CD-ROM. The 300GB disc is less than 40 times the capacity of our common DVD-9 disks. Yes, times change, technology advances, and those of us that cannot accept it will be left behind still marvelling at how fire can be made by rubbing sticks together.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Use quote tag when copying from another source.

Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)