xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Inspiron

Msn Messenger Emotions Location Where are the custom emotions stored?

I've a question and I've googled for it and found no answers. People here might help.So the question is, where does MSN messenger store those custom emotions which I've added from my friend's emotions? It's like when my friend sends an emotion that I think its cool and decides to add to my emotions, where does that GIF file goes to? I couldn't find those GIF files in msn messenger installation directory.

You see, most of the emotions that I find them cool are animated gifs. Hence it cannot be done simply with copy and paste as it only resulted in having only the first frame of the animated sequence instead. I want the entire gif files with all the animations in proper conditions. I believe after adding the emotions, those gif files will go somewhere into my computer. But I don't know where to find them.

hi inspiron ,first of all sign out of messenger and open windows explorer and navigate to tools \folder options \view ,in the advanced settings box uncheck hide extensions for known file types ,after doing this go to c:\documents and settings \your user name \application data\microsoft\msn messenger.there will be several folders named with numbers,these numbers are associated with the different email accounts users have logged into messenger using that pc.locate the folder associated with your email id (usually it is the first folder)and inside you will find a folder named custom emotions ,you'll see it contains files with .dat extensions , you can view these files using internet explorer , now right click and save it .cheers !! :lol:

oh okay... I managed to find them..Finally I know where my emotions are stored. They are stored as *.DAT files instead of *.GIF files.. Nice hideout but disclosed anyway.. :lol:Thanks midnitesun...

On Microsoft Vista:The emotions are stored in:C:Users[username]AppDataLocalMicrosoftMessenger[user-email]ObjectStoreCustomEmoticons-reply by ceycey

emotions

Msn Messenger Emotions Location

I can see the emotions in my msn,and I can send,but the one I send to can see the emotions ,but with respect to me I only see the name I named the emotions and also I can't see the ones sent to me,only there names

-reply by kamal

Emotiocons

Here is the location for your emoticons, make sure your hidden files are showing: C:Documents and SettingsCS0597Local SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftMessenger

-reply by SUper dude

I found the folders for the winks, custom emoticons...but..

I'm using Windows XP SP3 and I have Windows Live Messenger 8.5 I followed your steps and all the files are either DT2 files or ID2 files, am I doing something wrong here? How am I supposed to open them? Do I need a specific program? Or am I doing something wrong?

-question by Alessandra

sqm files

When I go to the specified folder, I do not see .Dat files, instead I see .Sqm files.

Seems like windows live has changed the way they store emotions.

Also .Sqm are not the emotions, because I deleted them and restarted Windows live, and I was still able to use the custom emotion.

-reply by Allypopsthecorn

The correct location mentioned by SUper dude will have a directory called "ObjectStore."  In this directory will be a list of MSN Messenger accounts.  The next directory to explore is "CustomEmoticons" which houses the smileys. 

DT2 files should be copied to the desktop & renamed to .Jpg or .Gif to work. 

Unfortunately, the ID2 files are another matter.  Further discussion googled here.