xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
misere

Executive Committee? What Executive Committee? So much for a shared project...

I'm in the Executive Committee for a youth group that's supposed to be led by youth for youth. Sounds great and all, and most of the people in it are awesome people I'm proud to be able to call friends. But there's just one teeny weeny fly in the ointment. (Ok, not really teeny or weeny, but still...) The president. This guy, who was one of the original founders of the group, had been in a youth group like this before he moved here, and so, because he's the only one with this kind of experience, he became the president by default, more because no one else was confident enough to take it on than because we were all sure that he could lead us. Now what's happened is that he's taken over everything. I understand that the president is supposed to be in control and all, but the last time I checked, the purpose of an Executive Committee is so that we can have some input as well! Instead, we all just end up sitting through these interminable meetings during which he just talks and we all pretend to be listening. There's a lot of nodding going on, but not much else. That really bugs me, but since we'll be having elections for the Executive Committee members fairly soon, it's something I can live with, since I'm pretty sure he's not going to get reelected this time round.But as if that's not bad enough, he has the habit of planning elaborate, time-consuming fundraisers that are really awful to set up and clean up after, and he insists on holding meetings that are, quite frankly, a complete and utter waste of time just before the event, and at these meetings, he always makes a point of saying that as the leaders of the youth group, we should set a good example by going early to help setup and leaving late after helping to clean up. Most of us do actually do that, unless we have valid reasons that are unavoidable, but as for him, he arrives just a little early, just in time to make it look like he was there to set up without having to do any of the actual work, and leaves just a little late, just late enough to look like he stayed to help clean up and just fast enough that he doesn't have to do anything. He's also a master of delegation, so on the rare occasion that he actually gets pinned down long enough for setup or cleanup, he still manages to get by with doing nothing. He's also abitrary, assigning duties without considering the victim at all, without thinking about whether the victim already has too much to do or has the capabilities to do the task. *sigh* I can't wait til I'm no longer in the stupid Executive Committee with this guy...he takes all the fun out of the things we do.

Try having a potluck dinner for the Executive Committee. Have people sign up to bring stuff, like appetizers, main course, dessert, etc. Either he won't come, or you can get him to contribute something by bringing something. Make sure it's set up as an informal social event for the Executive committee, not a business meeting. When you have these fundraisers, make sure he's the one with the keys, checkoff sheet, etc. A lot of public places require someone to show up first, make sure you get the space, and be responsible for making sure the place is locked up afterwards, and everything is cleaned up after the event, so you get your deposit back. Just make sure he's the one responsible for the opening and closing of the site. Also, some groups I used to belong to used to have post-event parties for the people that threw the event, and anyone else who stuck around to help with cleanup. The location would be announced after the cleanup was done, so people had to stick around to help to find out where the party was afterwards. Start referring to him as the "Executive Committee Mascot" instead of the President. As in, he just hangs around but doesn't help out much, lol. Start having unofficial meetings before he gets there, or after he leaves, so he doesn't have any input. Or you could announce the meeting to be held after the cleanup is done. We used to make up a timetable for our events. So everybody knew what had to be done, and so we would have enough time to do it in. That was for setting up the event, during the event, and cleaning up afterwards. Always allow a little extra leeway to get things done. Just do not allow enough leeway for a long boring meeting before the event. Say: "Gee, I would love to stick around for all of this, but I have to start doing - whatever."Try to find out what times he can't attend meetings, and talk to the other members about scheduling your meetings during those times, as it's the only time several of them can make it to the meetings. Set up impromptu meetings at somebody's house, have a short meeting, then watch TV and send out for pizza. Or bring your own munchies. Just "forget" to invite him, as "it's more of a social gathering than a business meeting." Even if he starts showing up, the person whose house it's at can keep the meeting more informal by turning on the TV, putting in a CD/DVD, or asking what people want on their pizza. If everybody else cooperates, you can force it to be short and more informal.Just a few tips to help you take back your fun!