xisto Community
affhotspot

Google Os

There is a rumor going around that google is going to make their own operating system. and they are gonna put the os on very low cost computers they built. they computers are about 200 dollars. this is probobly not going to make any money. people are already trying to pick windows, mac or linux. if your cool you will pick linux. mac still has 5% market share in operating system industry. they came out before windows. google might get a head start because its google. but they always make it confusing about what their goals and future. even though they are constantly comming out with new awsome services, like google video which now has some really neat features. you should check it out. back to google os, who would actually buy this? most likely your grandma/pa, or your parents that not nothing about computers. and just want to check email and do everything google provides. if the computer the google os comes in works on intel. i'll probobly buy it and reformat the hardrive and install windows or linux. now that would be awsome a good cheap computer. post about anything you know about this topic.i would like to know more.

Google has flatly denied any plans to build a low cost computer except for their internal use. As for the OS I don't care to comment. I believe that rumor came from their job postings, they are looking for OS engineers and hardware designers. But anyone with any foresight could figure out that google needs people to develop their internal systems.

Well I seriously doubt that this will ahppen anytime soon, as the rumor was that they would announce it at CES, and CES has been and gone and all we got was the Google Video Store, and the pretty pointless (for most people here I expect) Google Pack,, still a Google OS would be quite cool, but I doubt it would be able to break Windows (sorry for the really bad pun). Unfortuantely windows is one of those things that is left alone by many people as it is just there and most people don't see the flaws with it or don't care enough to go and change OS.

As far as i know, everyone ho have an google-account can use the google OS. It's allready there!

google docs and spreadsheets (soon presentations!)

Gmail

personalized homepage

search history

picasa webalbums

googlepages

So, I'm thinking that google want's to combine al of it in one thing, named google OS or something.

Cool! :unsure:Google is just the kickass sollution for everyone who travels a lot arround the globe.I hope it's google services are build-in the OS...

OS is not happening for PSs anytime soon. But mobiles may have them before this year's end. Would be cool though. A Google OS. NO fancy. Simple easy to use and easy on the eye. Just like Google.

The iPhonde don't uses google widgets. It only has the abillity to display google maps.The Widgets used in the iPhone are from mac.Just to make all things clear.... :unsure:

Google will never come up with their own OS. Creating an operating System is a very complicated task, and Google isn't too good at making desktop Apps. The only thing they might be able to do is to create a modified version of Linux, but Ubuntu is already a pretty good distro. I think its more probable that they'll make some deals with the Ubuntu guys to include some Google Software by default. That wont really be anything. The average user doesn't know how to use Linux yet.

Well according to my opinion they can, they should and they just might. You see Google is much better than Microsoft and its liked by many people. If it opens up i just might buy it but the they might not see success as Microsoft came at a time when they had no competition and got pretty famous and is enjoyed by families today. Maybe Google can be a professional OS more like Linux. Lets just cross our fingers and hope for it to come out and be good as i really am expecting it.

Well I think that it is very unlikely, as Google is preety much internet-based company and I think it will stay that way. No company should try to take everything but get better and better in its own field and for Google that is internet, search engines and everything that is connected with it...So there will be NO GOOGLE OS in my opinion..

I agree wit elrohir,Its a well known thing abt Goobuntu.I wonder why they don't wanna release it!!

Google is preety much internet-based company and I think it will stay that way. No company should try to take everything but get better and better in its own field and for Google that is internet, search engines and everything that is connected with it...

But then Heavensounds don't U think that companies lyk google are trying to get a stronghold of the desktop industry along wit the ne where they already reign supreme?? similarly Microsoft is trying to gain control of the net alng wit the desktop where they reign wit Windows..Its all abt givin the consumer a "one stop shop" kinda experience where a whole bunch of tools come together for the benefit of the consumer!!

So in the end ,It is US (the consumers) who are the winners