xisto Community
mukund

I Got Strange Things

if i'm not connected to the net, the computerattempts to dial out and connect to several sites, my1x1.com,memzero.info, my-secure.name, 0x90.devtech.us;and if i look at the task manager,there's always a differently named .exe file running, which doesn'tturn up when i search for it on the c: drive.any suggestions for a product that would actually find and remove thisworm, as mcafee claims to be able to?thank you.Mukund

Spybot Search & Destroy at https://www.safer-networking.org/ We have it on our computer and works well to get rid of most autodialers and other unpleasantries. Make sure after you install it you update the detection definitions (click on Search for Updates) then when that is finished "Check for Problems" and then finally "Immunize". Should solve your problem :(

Yes, Spybot is good. Updating it regularly is a must do, because there are new "things" being discovered all the time.

Also, look inside your c:/windows/temp folder and whack all of it. Sometimes "things" hide in there.

Never surf the web without a virus detection of some form running. By careful where you surf. Those places your Mom warned you about are not good places to go. Same for peer-to-peer downloads.

And DO NOT open e-mails you do not recognize the name of the sender on.

All these will help you stop getting the 'diseases', but run some sort of detection and removal program to eliminate the ones presently found on your machine.

A disinfectant script check from this source might be helpful. They have helped me in the past. It closes off ports and such entry points as can be found on your computer. Quite useful, actually.

Running THIS will also help identify any security entry points.

that souns like adware to me try adaware.com for free anti-spyware software.YOu may also want to run anti-virus sftware as well and any windows tweak software you have to make sure that your registry is not corrupted due to any virus you have.How'd it turn out?

Yes id have to say what ull need is adaware or spybot. Also check out the tool Hijack This, it can help u get rid or the annoying browser hijacks, but use it with caution and dont mess with it alot. :angry: Any antivirus software could be helpful at identifying the virus (if it is one) but they will not help much at removing those viruses.The best way for you to get rid of that "bug" would be to format your HD and reinstall windows. One other way would be to switch your browser and make it a default one. Dont know if it will help much but in the future i suggest u do not use Internet Explorer, get yourself FireFox or Netscape and you'll much more secure.

that souns like adware to me try adaware.com for free anti-spyware software.

It's not an Adware for this case. It's a trojan script that force the modem to dial into services without the user's acknowledgement. It is meant to blow up the infected user's internet or telephone bills since everything is forced by the script and carried out in the background. It's called a Dialer Trojan. Spybot software is also able to detect such scripts. Hence downloading and runing Spybot will most probably solve the issue.