xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Albus Dumbledore

How To:customizing Your Start Menu Things like my music, my pictures etc..

How to make it to where things like My Pictures; My documents; and My Music dont show in your start menuFirst off simple right click on the start button in the bottom left corner of the page and select properties, or open it up and right click somewhere in there and select properties.Now click on the Start menu tab then click on customizeIf you want to clear/permenatly clear the recently used program list click on the general tab and look down the window for Programs. once you are there you can hit the up or down button(2) to customize the amount of recently used programs to be shown..or set to 0 for none. if you cant to clear it simply hit the clear button! (1)if you want to set your default browser and e-mail reader simply look below that and select onenow if you want to make it to where things DO NOT or DO appear on the start menu such as My Music, My Pictures, and My Documents all you need to do is go to Advancedonce at advanced look down the scrolling list for the file or process that you do not want to be shown on there. for example, if you want to get rid of the search icon there simple look down the scrolling list for Search, and if there is a check mark next to it that means it will show, and if there isn't then that means it will not show!easy as that!

Nice little tutorial, Chris! I do believe that my grandma, who knows next to nothing about computers but tries to use them anyways, will find this tutorial very useful! I am printing it out for her right now!

was than an insult saying the tutorial would be useless to those except people who know nothing about computers? heh im jsut joking! but thanx! it only took me a few minutes and i have had a few people who are verry experianced with computers ask me about this so i just thought id post it >_<

I am just hoping that she will be able to follow it. Your directions are very easy to follow, but remember who we are talking about it: a 75 year old woman. She does not even understand how to use her Dish yet, let alone start working with computers.

that sounds about like my grandpa and his computer, he says that he wants to get a new cheap computer and start working with graphics and stuff..im sitting here telling him..psh yeah good luck with tha' one grandpa it prolly never going to happen

woah, thanks ... I belong to those people who can get the "complicated" stuff done but need tutorials for things as simple as that :( well, I guess I never bothered to look at that since the start buttons properties page wasn't of any use in Win9x and 2k...

yeah i suppose not, it took me a while to figure that out, but im glad i did because i DO NOT like the recently used programs on there, i just put my own personal programs

blah @ even three! i want all my programs that i want there, so when i am editing a page or somthingi dont need to close all 10 windows i have open to get to the desktop and click my FTP manager, i have it right there on the menu and zap it opens up :-D sometimes i love computers, but the case with my CD writer! curse its guts! danged delll parts!! btw i gifted you 30 credits enjoy your site its looking better than the llast one!

This is a very nice tutorial for beginners who use computers / people who want to know how to quickly and easily get rid of the buttons/links they don't want to show in the start menu.There have been times, in the past, when my brain's had some kind of clearance and I've forgotten how to do these simple things like this (Without browsing around the computer whilst refreshing my mind!).Anyway, thanks for the help with buttons in the start menu, certainly speeds up the process of finding the correct menu for removing the irrelevant items.Keep the tutorials coming in, they're great!!

How to make it to where things like My Pictures; My documents; and My Music dont show in your start menu

First off simple right click on the start button in the bottom left corner of the page and select properties, or open it up and right click somewhere in there and select properties.

Now click on the  Start menu tab then click on customize

If you want to clear/permenatly clear the recently used program list click on the general tab and look down the window for Programs. once you are there you can hit the up or down button(2) to customize the amount of recently used programs to be shown..or set to 0 for none.  if you cant to clear it simply hit the clear button! (1)

if you want to set your default browser and e-mail reader simply look below that and select one

now if you want to make it to where things DO NOT or DO appear on the start menu such as My Music, My Pictures, and My Documents all you need to do is go to Advanced

once at advanced look down the scrolling list for the file or process that you do not want to be shown on there. for example, if you want to get rid of the search  icon there simple look down the scrolling list for Search, and if there is a check mark next to it that means it will show, and if there isn't then that means it will not show!

easy as that!

223195[/snapback]

kind of knew this but this is a simple yet effective tutorial

thanks man good read