xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
wild20

What Is The "type" Command? I need help

I had one of those scandisk errors on my computer. It found a problem and said it would clean the disk, but to make an undo disk. I put in a floppy disk (don't say it), and then had it put on an undo in case it messed up something. It said I could use the TYPE command to view the files that it needed to remove/clean. What is the TYPE command.

type is an system DOS command, that displays contents of file you give as a parameter. It's usage is quite simple, and it goes like this:

type somefile.txt

It is usefull on systems, where edit is not present, and you need to view some files contents. If the file is longer than 24 screen lines (as it may be the case with scandisk log file, in your case) of text, you should add |more option, like this:

type somefile.txt |more

Using this option will pause after each full screem of contents, and wait for key press, to display next screen of information from the file. Using type to display contents of some file other than plain text, doesn't make much sense, since many characters will not be displayed, or not displayed correctly. Anyways, I'm going into deep explanations :(type is a system command, built into DOS command interpreter, command.com. You can try it on any Windows, by going to command (or MS-DOS) prompt.

type is an system DOS command, that displays contents of file you give as a parameter. It's usage is quite simple, and it goes like this:

type somefile.txt
It is usefull on systems, where edit is not present, and you need to view some files contents. If the file is longer than 24 screen lines (as it may be the case with scandisk log file, in your case) of text, you should add |more option, like this:

type somefile.txt |more
Using this option will pause after each full screem of contents, and wait for key press, to display next screen of information from the file. Using type to display contents of some file other than plain text, doesn't make much sense, since many characters will not be displayed, or not displayed correctly. Anyways, I'm going into deep explanations :(type is a system command, built into DOS command interpreter, command.com. You can try it on any Windows, by going to command (or MS-DOS) prompt.

222597[/snapback]

Type changes what program is associated with each extension

it is used with the asscoc command usualy

also you do not ned to type in gjg.txt, you only need to type in "txt"

Notice from snlildude87:
Why did you change the quote tag to the italics tag? To gain more credits?

*credits adjusted*

Edited by snlildude87 (see edit history)

I had one of those scandisk errors on my computer.  It found a problem and said it would clean the disk, but to make an undo disk.  I put in a floppy disk (don't say it), and then had it put on an undo in case it messed up something.  It said I could use the TYPE command to view the files that it needed to remove/clean.  What is the TYPE command.

222412[/snapback]

It's odd that it tells you to use the type command. Maybe i'm just used to my own scandisk, but it's still odd.

Okay thanks guys. This helps a lot. I will try it. I don't even know what the file is, but the computer works fine still. I just would like to know because I don't know what the file is. The Operating System is actually a 95 Windows. :(

Type changes what program is associated with each extension

it is used with the asscoc command usualy

also you do not ned to type in gjg.txt, you only need to type in "txt"

222633[/snapback]

Type changes what program is associated with each extension? I think you confused TYPE command, for FILE TYPE ASSOCIATION... Two completely different things...

Maybe it's my fault, TYPE is a system DOS command, that was introduced while MS-DOS was the underlaying operating system, and Windows was just a user program. If you are not in windows, you can't use notepad, or some other editor. You have to use EDIT, if it is present. If it's not (and that happens to be the case, on most rescue disks), you have to use TYPE command, to see its contents

Okay thanks guys.  This helps a lot.  I will try it.  I don't even know what the file is, but the computer works fine still.  I just would like to know because I don't know what the file is.  The Operating System is actually a 95 Windows. :(

223067[/snapback]

The file is probably a summary of scandisk report, maybe a list of files, who knows. It probably contains, for you, useless information about which files were repaird, maybe info about lost chains... But it is a text file, generated to inform you of things scandisk did, nothing else. You are safe to view it :(

I'm glad if I helped in any way :(