xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
andrescasta

Wrt54g V5 Loses Connection Linksys Router

I have a WRT54G v5 router and ADSL with PPPoE and I'm experiencing problems with the router dropping the Default gateway periodically. After browsing this forum for similar problems and hopefully solutions with no luck on the solution part I decided to chat with Linksys. The guy I chatted with suggested that I should try changing the router's IP address to 192.168.2.1 instead of 192.168.50.1 which I had set it to before. In my ears the tip sounded like rubbish, but I gave it a try and it actually seems to be working. A sufficient amount of time hasn't passed yet to deem the connection 100% stable, but the improvement so far is still remarkable. Now the router hasn't dropped the gateway for, oh say a couple of hours, as opposed to before when it dropped every 15-30 minutes perhaps. Perhaps this is something for you guys as well? The other tip he shared with me was to set up the PPPoE connection in the modem instead of the router if the above procedure didn't work, but I'm hoping it won't come to that. If the procedure with changing the router's IP-address should prove itself to be a working solution, it will of course raise the question: Why? Is it a glitch in the firmware perhaps, and will it be fixed to allow freedom of choice pertaining to IP-address selection in the future?

Well, first of all have you set your wireless router with any WEP or changed your password to your router? The reason I ask is that 98% of people don't bother to do this and this opens form someone else to enter your router setting (accidentally or purposely).Here is a scenario. Let's say you have a neighbor that has the similar wireless connection. The machine he/she is using is looking for a signal and connects to your router (since you didn't secure it with WEP or SSID hide). He/she connects but experiences slow speed and thus finds out the router's IP and either reset or a change that makes your router to reboot, so to speak. Now I know it's farfetched idea but I'm trying to look at it most innocent way.The worse scenario is that someone else is hopping on to your wireless signal without your permission and enters your router admin setting. So, try changing the login ID and password first. And, of course, set WEP key followed by hiding SSID. If you are using wireless network card all you need to do is manually enter SSID to your machine. This way, it's not broadcasting your SSID to the public but your machine can connect blindly.

It pretty nonsensical to the method of changing the router's IP address to become working in better condition. Really, but why does it happen? It doesn't really make sense. A possible cause that I could think of is a clash in wireless networks somehow due to buggy firmware of 2 or more routers using the same IP address. So probably changing its IP address might help to change the situation.I've got a Linksys wireless router B-standard type and its also now giving me alot of problems. One of such, which is the most irritating one, is randomly times of ping-timeouts. For every 4 or 5 pings, there's sure to have one ping timeout. Hence the are lost of packets. It is really terrible especially with I am playing online games and it got stuck every few moments and lagged alot. However, I realised this only happened on wireless situation. The desktop computer in another room connected with physical wire didn't experience such problem.I was thinking if it might be old and needed to be replaced. Probably the next wireless router for me is those with MIMO and extended wireless G for boosted speeds and extended ranges. Netgear might be a good choice for me next..