xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Myouga

Oleds

I have heard several things about OLED displays, these displays are cheap to manufacture, high res, and best of all, no refresh rate/response time. they respond as fast as electronic current flows. these displays are currently projected to be extremely thin and high quality colors. they should be out by mid next year if developement continues at the current pace.

ah that sounds cool. So you can also use those for computer-screens? Because when its really cheap, i would like a 32 inch screen :)

As far as I know currently it is not possible to make a computer screen out of this substance as the biggest screen that can be manufactured at the moment is only a few inches accross and even then they don't last that long. Also the best thing about the OLED (in my opinion anyway) is that they produce there own light source (kind of a given I know for a light emmitting diode) this is part of the reason that they can be ran very cheaply as there is now need for a backlight. I fully expect the OLED to be for portable screen what HD was for Television screens, while the technology is not very practical now I know I will certainly be keeping an eye on this technology.

OLED is a possible design for a cheap flat screen. I read a Current Science article concerning OLEDs, and it claims that they last about three years and are very thin and flexible (so that one may have a roll-up computer screen).

The only problem is that they have to be partially grown (being organic), so that takes extra time and money. How much, exactly

OLEDs have already been used in quite a few small device screens.

By the way, the most promising version of this type of technology is the PLED (polymer LED).

Read more about it here

Guyz! What do U think about OLED Keyboard ?

Each of buttons can display any symbol, like letter, digit, anything!!!

No more countryfication problems! For ex. two letters on each of buttons (English and Russian or other).

Part of article from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

According to a posting on the Art.Lebedev website, more details of the "Optimus" OLED-based keyboard should be released on Feb. 1 -- possibly even the product itself.

The website contains nothing more than the blurb "Good Things Come In Small Packages: Feb. 1, 2006," so there's no indication of exactly what will be released, or whether such details such as pricing will be divulged.

ADVERTISEMENT[AD] Like most cool new gizmos, the premise behind the Optimus is simple, yet elegant: miniature OLED screens on the keyboard can display whatever character a user chooses to program. It appears, based on the concept designs, that a user could remap a keyboard layout, choose different color schemes, or come up with their own macros that could be mapped via symbols or other characters to specific keys.

Still, what's been divulged about the keyboard indicates that the design team had a production timetable in place from the beginning. The designers have previously indicated that the keyboard will cost less than a mobile phone, and ship in 2006.

Device's webpage there - http://www.artlebedev.com/optimus/

I think that it certainly looks neat, but would leave you in a bit of a bad situation when the OLEDs began to die out (thankfully, most people have the keyboard configuration memorized, anyway).It's certainly a clever innovation, however. A keyboard that can truely be "universal."