xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kvarnerexpress

Xp Media Center Vs Xp Pro

I'm having a hard time finding out the more technical differences in these two. I'm Choosing a new Laptop and many offer media center as an option. I know I want Pro vs Home because of all the networking options missing in Home, but I don't know if Media Center is like Pro with media add-ons, or like Home with media add-ons. All I could find so far was this and this. Neither are very helpful, and I don't know exactly what they mean by "Connect to Internet wirelessly." I mean...if you have 802.11x and an internet connection...what's the problem?

Personally, I use Media Center on my Windows XP Computer. However, If you are only going to be using it as a laptop, for studies for school, or MSN or something like that, I would just get a Windows XP Home. If you're going to connect your laptop to other computers to form a network, and want to access the other computer domains, then I would go for Windows XP Professional. You can save yourself a lot of money if you just buy Home because you do not need Professional.Finally, there's Windows XP Media Center. That is if you are going to be doing a mixture of both off-network and on-network. And, the Media Center Program that it comes with is great, allowing you to watch Live TV, easily make/view CDs or DVDs, organize your pictures and videos, and edit movies and burn them onto a DVD. If you spend even more money you can get a CPU with LightScribe technology, allowing you to make an image right onto the CD Face using laser technology. Of course, you can always have more than one Operating System on your computer, however, my best-bet for you would be Windows XP Media Center Edition if you are planning on creating a network with your laptop.