xisto Community
vimalsudhan

Recommend Extra Data Storage Which Is The Best?

I have intended to buy an Extra-Data Storing Device for my Back-Ups.What could I choose From?May I go for Removable Devices like Flash Drives or the Permanent storing devices like CD-R/W.Any Suggestions?

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Topic title is very important. Choose it carefully. Topic description must be present.
Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

Well, the recommendation is going to be based on what sort of 'back-up' you want.If you are a business and have to store the information for seven tax years, then I would reccomend the disk-type of storage.If you need temporary back-up and portability, then the flash drive is the way to go.If cost is a concern, the disks are cheaper to buy, but over time, if there isn't much data to be stored, the flash drives might be beter because they could be overwritten easier. Another issue becomes the capability to use the flash drive on other machines. My machine won't take them because the USB system requires drivers for everything for some reason and it isn't always a simple thing to find them.Of course, a cd-rom is the standard for installing software now, so most machines come with a cd-drive anyway, so there wouldn't be much extra cost except for the price of a pack of 50 disks.Hope this helps.

jlhaslip had gave a very detailed post. But do remember that a harddisk can be damaged naturally due to wear and tear after a few years. Although harddisk is the most preferred storage device in most backup storages that we'll need, they will still depreciate and slowly give problems due to the fact that they are machanical drives. Among all storage alternatives, I would think DVDs are most likely not ideal for backups because they take a long time to write. And every data in it needs to be re-writtened again if new data is to be stored in a DVD-RW disc in order to save space and store as much as possible without using byte headers. It also takes up alot of time in writing and re-writing data into a DVD disc.Furthermore, the standards of DVDs are always fluctuating. What you write in your DVD now might not be readable in a few years later.

The thing about backups is that no backup is ever 100% safe and secure. I've known people who used just one backup method only to regret it at a later time. You never know what's going to happen to your CDs or HDDs after a few years (or even months).What I'd suggest is that when you backup, go for a mixed media. Like the others have mentioned, you'll need to decide whether to go for portability or just plain data storage. I tend to make backups of my backups, and I store my stuff depending on what's needed. The files and apps that normally just sit there for months or years gathering dust I keep in DVDs (because of the greater storage). Those that I use occasionally (but not often) I keep in CD-Roms (more portable than DVDs). And those that I most often use, I keep on a 128K flash drive. It's also a good idea to have at least two backups, stored in different locations. That way, if you ever lose one backup then you'll still have another copy.