xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kevlar557

Freaking Cheap Pos Hard Drives A.K.A: Western Digital

I've had nothing but trouble with my western digital hard drives. First, my good 80 gig Caviar just started acting up, its giving me weird noises, and my computer freezes every 5 minutes, but unfreezes after 30 seconds. I can hear it spin up, slow down, spin up, slow down, over and over again. All of my games and personal stuff is on here, and I can't afford a new HD right now. Second, my 30 gig Caviar just died last week, no reason what so ever. I've tried it in 3 different computers, and it id a dud. Lastly, my little 7 gig Caviar is giving me troubles when using my little windows 95 box. it works sometimes, other times it doesn't. I'm definately going to go out and buy a few samsung hard drives from micro center in a couple weeks.

You might want to send a pm to Saint Mike. He seems to go through them quickly and might have an idea or two about the best ones, or where to get good deal. He just got an 80 gig installed.

Man.. good luck ^^;My littte HD is a Seagate.. hasn't given me any trouble yet, but I feel your pain o.oI'm always paranoid, surfing around on Newegg for my next part XD;Good luck ^^

That's some bad luck... I had few WD Caviars die on me, a while ago, and I swore I would never ever buy another WD, and if they were the only ones making HDD's, I would stop using computers :)Joke aside, I'm not quite the fan of Samsung either, as I witnessed two of them dying too (maybe just a coincidence, who knows)... But in 10 years I've been using computers, I never had any problems with Quantum or Maxtor drives. I know, I know, Maxtor bought Quantum, they are the same thing... But the fact remains, they are fast, reliable, and much quieter than Seagate (I had one Baracuda, the drive was screaming :P)But you should definitely buy a new HDD, as fast as you can, and backup your data... Try using you computer as little as possible, to avoid data loss...Hope this helped...