xisto Community
Gr4ve_Digger

New Computer Is it any good?

NZXT Trinity ATX Mid Tower Case, Side Window, Front USB, Black

Asus A8N-SLI Motherboard, Socket 939, 4xDIMM, DDR, 2xPCIe-16, 3xPCI, 2xPCIe-1, 10xUSB2, Firewire, Audio, ATA, SATA, RAID, ATX

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ CPU, 2.0GHz, Socket 939, 32/64-Bit, ATX, Retail pack with fan

Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3300831A Hard Disk Drive, 300GB, 7200rpm, 8192KB Cache, ATA-6/100

Generic 1.44MB, Internal, Floppy Disk Drive, Silver

LiteOn SOHW-1693 DVD Writer, DVD 16R/16W/8RW, CD 48R/48W/24RW, Internal, IDE, Beige, Retail, PowerDVD/Nero

Kingston ValueRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit, 2x1GB, DDR-SDRAM, DIMM, DDR333

Leadtek GeForce 7800 GT Video Card, GeForce 7800 GT, 256MB, DDR3, PCIe-16, DVI, SLI ready

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Sound card, 7.1, PCI, Retail

Logitech MX-518 Mouse, Optical, USB, Silver/Black

Acer AL1715SMD Monitor, 17" LCD, 1280x1024, DVI, Speakers, Silver

Edifier M300, 2.1 Portable Speaker System, Silver

It comes to the total of 3,402.92, which is rather hefty, but i could also get my other configuration of

Asus A8N-SLI Motherboard, Socket 939, 4xDIMM, DDR, 2xPCIe-16, 3xPCI, 2xPCIe-1, 10xUSB2, Firewire, Audio, ATA, SATA, RAID, ATX

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ CPU, 2.0GHz, Socket 939, 32/64-Bit, ATX, Retail pack with fan

Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3300831A Hard Disk Drive, 300GB, 7200rpm, 8192KB Cache, ATA-6/100

LiteOn SOHW-1693 DVD Writer, DVD 16R/16W/8RW, CD 48R/48W/24RW, Internal, IDE, Beige, Retail, PowerDVD/Nero

Leadtek GeForce 7800 GT Video Card, GeForce 7800 GT, 256MB, DDR3, PCIe-16, DVI, SLI ready

Which comes to 2000, would the extra sound card and monitor be worth it?

And also are the parts i have selected value for money? or are there better but cheaper parts on the market

(all prices and items from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/)

Notice from mayank:
Well, You have to put quotes on these kind of things...because they dont contribute to the forum and also that must have been copied from the website you've mentioned...because whole of your post depends on these configs..its better that you add quotes in future.

Edited by mayank (see edit history)

I think all that should be quoted, but here comes the comments, it is a fine computer, the 300gb HDD is a little much unless you plan on editing movies. Now you want the honest truth... That computer is better then the one I'm using, not by too far but still better, it really depends what you want it for! If you only want to type and webdesign then GET A CHEEPER COMPUTER, but if you want to do multimedia and video and games then that's a whole nother thing.

Wow.. This is definately a gaming machine. I bet playing DoomIII on it will be smoother than playing PacMan on a Pentium 1 machine.As what moldboy said, using this computer for simple office work, a webserver or something that doesn't require high performance, why get such a good one? It's going to be expensive for something that you wouldn't make use of.

Um, 2.0 GHz isn';t the greatest computer, and you spend 3000 on it? Wow! Where did you get it from? I got mine for that price and I got a better turnout in EACH CATEGORY! Well, it's okay...let's see...
It's AMD...either you like AMD better than Intel, or you just didn't know...personally I like Intel more, because mine has a dual core chip, but if you like AMD, that's your decision. 300 GB HD is good. It's actually great...same like mine. ATX is a good video card. 8 MB Cache, great. But you have a floppy disk drive? That's dying technology! I don't have the need for one on mine. CD/DVD RW, good. Can it write Dual Layers?
Good mouse, monitor, and speaker system. If you truly like your computer, it's your choice...the only thing that I wouldn't like is the fact that your computer is AMD. But if you like AMD Athlon computers, be my guest. XD
Stephen

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Sound card, 7.1, PCI, Retail

Acer AL1715SMD Monitor, 17" LCD, 1280x1024, DVI, Speakers, Silver

Edifier M300, 2.1 Portable Speaker System, Silver

Thats a pretty decent computer. My recommended changes:

*Get a DL dvd Burner, like the Pioneer DVR-110 series.

*Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum - You dont need the Platinum, just the plain Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS. Really, its the best price/performace ratio out there. IF the Platinum has the face plate, i guess you could go for it.

*Logitech MX-518 Mouse, Optical, USB, Silver/Black - No Keyboard?? I suggest a Logitech MX3100 Combo. Note not a MX 3000 combo. Actually, Logitech took this out of existance, but some retailers still might have it.

*Kingston ValueRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit, 2x1GB, DDR-SDRAM, DIMM, DDR333 - Dude, im not even sure that ram will work in that mobo. Too slow.... Get Corsair, or another top brand. And you want DDR400 enleast.

@mystmag - Some things you should learn about before you comment. For Example

Um, 2.0 GHz isn';t the greatest computer, and you spend 3000 on it?

The days of Raw Power are over buddy, now its how effecient you cna get the CPU to run. X2 3800+ is a dual-core, and in Intels Equivalant, is about 3.8ghz. Its quite a beast of a CPU, and is really one of the top ones out there.

The new AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 (yes it does exist, but isnt on the shelves just yet) is the fastest CPU currently pretty much known. Its dual core, and beats Intel's best offerings in almost every benchmark, but wait for this... its only 2.6-GHz!!! :)

Morel: Raw Power doesnt always win.

Well, even though I am sure you already have bought this computer I would just buy a cheap dell and if you are good with computers, just add parts yourself. That is what I am going to end up doing with my new computer. If you have a friend that could help you out I think it would be much cheaper.