xisto Community
sargilla

Compressin Files?

use winrar and compress it into a ISO file.. they are the smallest i have ever seen, but i never heard of the other compresser u said

I just had to react to this....... :P

compress it into a ISO file..

:) Do you even know what an ISO file is?
Let me explain it to you.

An ISO image/file (as prescribed by ISO standard ISO 9660) is a file that represents a one-to-one copy of a specific computer filesystem, most widely used for the compact disc medium (i.e an entire CD or DVD-ROM).

Note one-to-one copy so how can it be the smallest ever seen?

<_<:P

remember that the more time it thake the better the outcome gets (read smaller)

Not 100% true, as WinRAR is faster than WinZIP in many cases but achieves better compression...

...Anyway, reason I'm posting (this post is now aimed at the original poster)...search https://www.google.de/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=BwkjVKfAD8uH8QfckIGgCQ&gws_rd=ssl for "PAQAR" compressor...it will take 1 minute or so per 100k of data (yes, 100k) but the compression it achieves is currently UNBEATEN...it even compresses AVI and MP3 fairly well (although given your "ISO" bit, I am assuming you're a n00b to computers so I don't suggest PAQAR for you personally)...

...thing to note about it is that there's no GUI for it so it's all command line and it is also hugely processor intensive and requires 500MB of mem to actually achieve best compression (or 1GB if you have it) but it's the best there is out there...

...and if that's not an option, there's always UHArc or as said before 7zip...

...I've actually looked into a "brute force" compression program which attempts to compress a file using different methods and programs and achieved moderate success with it, but it's so damn slow 'cos it's compressing 100s of times *just* with WinRAR so you can imagine the speed of it...you'd have to leave it overnight if doing a big file...the end result will of course be worth it...one day I'll finish it :-)

There is a limit when you are compressing files. Expecially for JPEGs or other picture formats. Cause these formats tend to be already compressed by their algorithms, so make double compression will not make your files lot smaller, only few kB. Sometimes is gets even biggers