xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
spy_charly

Computers For A Small Business A cyber caf?

hello guys!...this holidays i met an uncle of mine that told me he was interested in buying some computers (2 to be precise) you might wonder just two? well...in the same house there is another room with more computers (it's another uncle's business) but some days the place is just full or simply closed and the dsl phone line used to get the conection is from the whole house. So my uncle's question was "Is there a way to buy good computers, cheap and new?".And well what he wants to do is just to catch some clients when my other uncle closes his business or when it be full to catch other two... my fisrt thought was to buy with flat monitor and with a small cpu in order to have technology and to avoid the wide waste of money that common monitors produce.I hope some of you know about this subject and well to give him a report of prices and kind of technology he might need and experience

why don't your uncle #1 (the one opting to buy 2 new PCs) just partner with your uncle #2 (the one with the existing computer business)? it looks like your uncle #1 is always at hand and up to the task of minding your uncle #2's business in the latter's absence (which i assume is the reason why his business is closed sometimes).

from a business standpoint, there are disadvantages in the setup involved in your uncle #1's proposal of buying 2 new PCs. 1) your uncle #1 will become a direct competitor of sorts to your uncle #2. :D it might be good if their locations are far apart, and not on the same vicinity. you don't want them fighting over clients, right? it can happen. :D 2) simply having 2 PCs, even if does not make a significant dent business-wise on your uncle #2's business, surely will not make it profitable for your uncle #1 since 2 PCs (one as semi-dedicated server - to serve the network of PCs, and as client work PC if needed; and another as a dedicated client work PC) is simply not enough, and would take months to cover the cost if simply used for a cyber cafe (depending on the amount you charge per client; and the total time there actually is a paying client).

what i suggest, aside from your two uncles partnering together, is for your uncle #1 to make a business plan. :D he may want to diversify into other PC-related services, like desktop publishing or web development or another, so as not to directly compete with your uncle #2's existing business. it can even be an add-on service to your uncle #2 to have your uncle #1 offering a non-competing service. if your uncle #1's PCs are vacant for some time, and your uncle #2 has an overflow of customers, well he can have it used as an extension of your uncle #2's cyber cafe area, as originally intended.

if your uncle #1 intends to pursue his original plan of buying 2 PCs, you might just as well consult your uncle #2 for suggestions. he might have existing contacts which can supply your uncle #1's minimum requirements of two good, cheap, and new computers. :(first thing to do is not look far, since your uncle #2 has already an established business, which your uncle #1 would want to adapt. :D then if your uncle #1 is not satisfied with the prices presented to him by uncle #2's contacts, then that's the time to scout for new quotations from suppliers within your area (where is your uncle located anyway?).