xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
andrescasta

Is It Legal To Install Windows Xp On Another Hdd?

Ok so the machine in question has a old 5400rpm drive with WindowsXP on it. I'm considering replacing it with a long over due upgrade to a Raptor 10,000rpm. My motherboard has the input so that isn't a problem. Rather, the problem is that I can't transfer all Windows files to another harddrive by simply copying them over. Also, I've been having a lot of problems with my current setup and figure a clean install of Windows would be just as well, killing two birds with one stone. But I remember having to submit a code to Microsoft when I originally installed windows as a security precaution.My copy is legit, but I'm unsure if I can install it again on the same computer with a different HDD. Is it legal? Or would I have to buy another copy of Windows? (lame) I certainly hope not. Seeing as how broadband is not available in my area, that good fellow Mr.Bittorent will be unable to drop a free copy on my doorstep.

Well...its a lengthy Windows Product Activation (WPA) Stuff that i read on Microsoft Site when i purchased a Legal Copy of Windows...

The WPA works on the following:

WPA system checks ten categories of hardware:

Display Adapter
SCSI Adapter
IDE Adapter (effectively the motherboard)
Network Adapter (NIC) and its MAC Address
RAM Amount Range (i.e., 0-64mb, 64-128mb, etc.)
Processor Type
Processor Serial Number
Hard Drive Device
Hard Drive Volume Serial Number (VSN)
CD-ROM / CD-RW / DVD-ROM

All these form a 25-digit key which is transmitted to Microsoft site while activation..
Now.. out of these.. atleast 7must stay intact when u reinstall or reformat your system and activate the copy.
If u change more than 4stuffs in your computer...you would have to manually call up Microsoft and get your copy activated!
Generally it happens if u blow up your MB & Processor...

So as far as you are concerned with new Harddisk and formatting.. its fine...
You can do it without any worries...

Another thing you can do is... keep the same VOLUME ID
Note your current system root volume id by typing 'vol' in command prompt..
e.g.1F2E-3C4B
Save this number and then after your reinstall your system on new harddisk...BEFORE activation...change your volume id back to the earlier noted stuff using Volume ID restore software at:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

This way, you turn one of the VOTING like system infavour of YOU...and avoid further chance of any activation denial!

Finally and most important part of all... If your COPY is an OEM copy...you have do not have to worry...as OEM copies can be reactivated regardless of hardware changes...
If its a RETAIL copy, then only this Hardware Validation is checked each time you activate the copy...

And in any case.. you can activate your copy of Windows zillons of time...but on the same machine :D

Hope this clears your doubts...

I don't think it is possible for you to install the copy of Windows XP on another harddrive since the WPA also checks for Hard Drive Volume Serial Number as mentioned by zoomingrocket. Every hard drive has different volume serial number. It's not a software code where it can be easily changed. Rather I think it should be a serial number fixed and attached to the physical drive itself, resulting the serial number to be unchangable.You can however find some software on the Internet that bypasses the WPA after installing Windows XP on another device. But you will have to do it on your own risk as this is no difference from hacking..

It certainly is legal, but as mentioned repetedly above, you may have to pay for it. I've done a reinstallation on my grandmother's computer, but in that case, there were no hardware modifications; but anyway, everything worked out well.

If you are talking legal, then yes, it certainly is. If you are talking possible, then possibly not. Assuming that you do not want to shut off your computer, walk to the door, get dressed, put your key in the ignition and drive to best buy, then I would attempt using your computer's serial key (found on the side/back of all computers, a purple tag that is made out of glossy paper and protected so it can't come off) and enter that serial number into Windows XP. I am not sure if this will work, but I believe that all of Microsoft's serials can be used "3 times"...Actually, call Microsoft and tell them why you want to use the serial if it doesn't work and they'll let you use it however many times you want...ssshhhhh!

Itis both legal, and possible to do this. I've done it on my computer quite a few times. When you call to activate windows, enter all of the info over the phone, and they will probally not activate it. What they usually do, is transfer you to a person, and just explain the situation. Make sure to have your product key handy. after about 15 minutes, yu can get them to give you the activation key. Good luck!

Only on one cpu windows xp can be installed so that is simply remove from one HDD windows install on another... :D and i have changed my cpu 2times i use one cd key and it shows it is original... who wanna chek if he have orginal windos go on My computer right click see in registration box if you have somwhere writen OEM :D i think that is that chek me if i`m wrong