xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Lekha

Have you ever wondered how they make those fancy avatars with the transparency in them? Can't afford PhotoShop? Well, this tutorial will show you how, using a *FREE* program!

~I will be using a program called PhotoFiltre. Download it here: http://www.photofiltre.com/

~First, Open the image you like. Then, select what you want in the avatar. Right click and click "Crop".

~Then go to menu: Image >> Fit Image...

~Decide what size you want your avatar to be. I would suggest 100x100 or for a button 88x31. Make sure that Optimize AND Accept Deformation is checked.

~Minimize it and open up a template.

NOTE: The template should be the size of the image you cropped.

~Make sure that the foreground colour (See Extreme right) is black.

~Select the entire template (CRTL+A) and close it.

~Open your avatar again, and menu:Edit >> Paste Special >> Mask.

~Now zoom in. Select the paintbrush tool. Color in the parts that you want transparent with a color that is NOT in the avatar. (Example: I have a picture of an orange cat and I colored that parts I want transparent with GREEN.)

~If you want text in the avatar, add it before you make the transparency, because PhotoFiltre dosen't work with transparency.

~ Finally, Select the Magic Wand tool (See right) and, making sure that "Color" is checked, select ONLY the green or whatever other color part.

~Then you're done! Hope you found this useful! It's really very easy, once you get used to it.

Nice tutorial.. I have never used and heard of such program but who cares :D.. I better prefer my old pall Photoshop and it's vwery easy to creat avatars in it.. Maybe you could add some images to totorial so everyone can understand it easyer.. :D GooD JoB

XDD interesting.. but theres a website where you can make images transparent without downloading anything :) Lol^_^ but this is a nice alternative to those expensive programs out there :P

The program is kinda limited for picture editing. Probably good for small thumbnail style or avatars or maybe a customised photo of your girlfriend in your wallet :)Anyway, it will be better if your tutorial comes with screenshots because not many people has tried this program before. Step by step guide will definately help more..

Yeah, that`s cool. Pretty nice. I used it - and in final sweet avart:) yes, just try to use images, cus it`s very hard withut them...

Have you ever wondered how they make those fancy avatars with the transparency in them? Can't afford PhotoShop? Well, this tutorial will show you how, using a *FREE* program!

~I will be using a program called PhotoFiltre. Download it here: http://www.photofiltre.com/

~First, Open the image you like. Then, select what you want in the avatar. Right click and click "Crop".

~Then go to menu: Image >> Fit Image...

~Decide what size you want your avatar to be. I would suggest 100x100 or for a button 88x31. Make sure that Optimize AND Accept Deformation is checked.

~Minimize it and open up a template.

NOTE: The template should be the size of the image you cropped.

~Make sure that the foreground colour (See Extreme right) is black.

~Select the entire template (CRTL+A) and close it.

~Open your avatar again, and menu:Edit >> Paste Special >> Mask.

~Now zoom in. Select the paintbrush tool. Color in the parts that you want transparent with a color that is NOT in the avatar. (Example: I have a picture of an orange cat and I colored that parts I want transparent with GREEN.)

~If you want text in the avatar, add it before you make the transparency, because PhotoFiltre dosen't work with transparency.

~ Finally, Select the Magic Wand tool (See right) and, making sure that "Color" is checked, select ONLY the green or whatever other color part.

~Then you're done! Hope you found this useful! It's really very easy, once you get used to it.

215586[/snapback]

Nice tutorial! I will try it next time! I am kinda busy with other stuff now! LOOKS cool!