xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
icemarle

Misconceptions About Japanese Anime Why I sometimes hate American Media

Being bored, I came and watched some TV... Western TV, that is... Then I tune in to this cartoon. Everything goes well until they do a spoof of an anime. (Yu-Gi-Oh) Not that I like Yu-Gi-Oh, I was just plain annoyed... Obviously, in western-style animation, they animate their characters by mimicking the opening of the mouth... Like you can see when the character says "Oh" the mouth is rounded and the lips move. Anime on the other hand, is sometimes just a triangular mouth opening that closes and opens without having the move the lips all the time. Anyway, back to my rant. So that episode was supposed to be a guy addicted to a spoof name of Yu-Gi-Oh cards, and there was the anime spoof. The obvious rounded animation of the lips are seen. And you know what they did? They made it like a dub. You can see the mouth open first before you hear the voice. Which means they are mimicking a "bad" dub. Lagging audio. So are they saying that all anime is no good because there's ALWAYS a lagging audio in dubs!? I personally have no preference in dubs, but in what they were showing, that made me so pissed off. I know some dubs do have lagging audio, but it's like they were saying that anime is crappy. ;) I felt like throwing the TV that moment, but the TV is on a cabinet, so I couldn't reach it. :D Another part of my rant was when I watched another Western Cartoon. They make it like some Japanese comes on an exchange. The guy had thin eyebrows since it's a trend in Japan, and came in a cool red jacket. His voice was LOW... and sounded adult. ;) Not very realistic for a high school student... Anyway, that's not the story... He was only there to make one of the main characters go to Japan... Anyway, they were fighting on some remote mountain (another character), when the other main character got a good hit, then there was this small scene of the main character with a peace sign and the :D eyes. It was so annoying... :D Plus, they played this tune... I can't make you hear it here, hehe, since this is a forum, but that theme is something that is commonly played... Ahh hard to explain... I just wanted to rant about these stereotypes about anime. Someone should educate the people who make these cartoons...Anyway, this is the end of my rant. I hope you understood it...

they should ice but you know most people they won't listen unless your talking about money look at the life of gheisha hollywood is using chinese actors for a movie with japanese themes in it. thats how bad hollywood has gotten about stuff like this. money money money.

Even Hollywood? Pretty strange that Hollywood would make a movie without adequate research. Ugh, if there's anything I hate most of all, it's ignorance. They keep stereotyping people. "Wait, isn't this supposed to be a Japanese movie? Why do we have Chinese actors?" "Who cares, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, they all look the same." ;) I hate people with that type of mentality.

okay i have been and still am a huge lover in anime although i havnt seen any in like 6 months lol. Samurai X trust and betrayel is my favorite movie of all time, if you havnt seen it i highly recommened it. And i have a great respect for japan and japanese culture.But those cartoons were probley made by fans of anime just making a joke. If an anime had a few moments of cartoon where they looked like western cartoons and started acting like cowboys it would just be a harmless joke.Although i agree 100% hollywood screws up all thing foreign. That tom cruse movie the last samurai has to be the worst load of crap ever, lemmie rant for a bit i need to vent...-most of the people in the movie wernt even japanese-some stupid redneck from america that has been training for a year could NEVER beat a disiplined noble samurai who has dedicated his entire life to martial arts and lives and dies by his sword.-They failed to show key points in the revolution, including the fact that many fighting in it had worked to restore the menji era.-It takes months sometimes years to make a sword, im sure they wouldnt give such a prized possein to some moran from america.-people acually liked the movie-That ninja attack was the biggest load of crap ever, real ninjas would never just run in and attack like that.-they didnt show the rebals fighting with guns, which they did up untill the final battle.-They didnt show the ronin cuttting off their masters head and hiding it which was a key part in the storyokay that feels better lol...At one point in my life i wanted to be anime artist and move to japan so when people say something ingnorant about japan, although im not even asian it really strikes a note with me.Writing this has inspired me to fire up my anime collection again lmao

..whee.. and the otaku gather o.oI try not to worry so much about things like that.. you have to try to have a sense of humor.. or at least a sense of tollerance. Afterall, everyone can't be as enlightened as me :D (J/k).What's worse than people not understanding and being confused about anime.. are the people who flat-out hate it. For no reason o.oMy best friend is possibly a bigger fan than I am.. yet his mother -hates- anime. I think she still bears a grudge against Japan from WWII. o.oI run over to his house and see him and I'm like, "Oniichan!! *glomp!* ^^!" ..and she shoots me this glare. Although if I would have done the same thing, except used his name instead, she would have welcome me with open arms. So I go on to produce my external HD, and tell him I just got the "Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan" fansub, and he simply must watch it with me, and she goes, "You keep that big-eyed Jap sh!t out of my house".I'm like.. what the heck? ;.;

I know... it bothers me too some of the stuff that you hear and see in regards to anime and they whole 'Japanese' culture thing. I only recently discovered anime (I lead a very sheltered life as a child... what can I say, I grew up poor and in the country!) but I have to say that I'm amazed and impressed by it all.Most of my family that knows my fascination with Japanese culture thinks it's really cool that I'd want to learn about other places and such, and even help me out with it. In fact, for Christmas, my mother bought me a book on learning Japanese (which was really nice of her, because I've been trying to learn it) and my step-dad bought me some manga.When my father found out I was learning it, all he did was tease me, and do all the stereotypical things that Japanese people do. It hurt me that he didn't support me in what I was doing, but he can be like that. I think it hurt him that I didn't want to learn German since he is from Germany.But come to think of it, when my sister took German in school... he was putting her down too saying that she'd never be able to learn it, so why would she even bother.I don't know... it just bugs me that some people don't like to embrace other cultures like Japanese, and then expect that everyone else should come to the same views on the subject as them, and if they don't, then just poke fun at it all.Whatever... that's my addition to the rant.

What's worse than people not understanding and being confused about anime.. are the people who flat-out hate it. For no reason o.oMy best friend is possibly a bigger fan than I am.. yet his mother -hates- anime. I think she still bears a grudge against Japan from WWII. o.o
I run over to his house and see him and I'm like, "Oniichan!! *glomp!* ^^!" ..and she shoots me this glare. Although if I would have done the same thing, except used his name instead, she would have welcome me with open arms.
So I go on to produce my external HD, and tell him I just got the "Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan" fansub, and he simply must watch it with me, and she goes, "You keep that big-eyed Jap sh!t out of my house".

I'm like.. what the heck? ;.;

Yea i hate that, my grandparents are like that. Last time they came to my house and went in my room they saw my huge **bottom** rising sun flag and my samurai sword collection (most of the are cheap ones but i have a real ww2 one, i bought for $50 from a vet that was broke). They are pissed of at me for that. They started to *BLEEP* about pearl habor, and when i reminded them about the atom bombs, they were like "they deserved it."

I guess that some people are just to brainwashed to be open to anything.

and midnightvamp, good luck learning japanese, i wish i had the time for that, sigh
I guess ill be listening to dubs and reading subtitles my whole life...

and midnightvamp, good luck learning japanese, i wish i had the time for that, sigh

I guess ill be listening to dubs and reading subtitles my whole life...

216193[/snapback]

..hehe.. I've been saying that for over a year, now.. keep trying to learn, then end up stopping because I dont have the time, after college and work ^^;

...buuuut.. it's almost new years, so I think this year.. I'm going to set aside some time and actually do it.

Maybe. XD