xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
urlsubmission123kid

Best Operating System os

Well I think that linux is a computer for bewsitehosting and some other things that it is good on. But If you are going to use you computer at home then I think Windows Xp is best for you it supports evrything. While Linux only supports some things. ;) So I think Windows Xp Is best for you. ;)

when i think of linux, i think of programming and apache (web site server.) when i think of Macintosh i think of user friendly almost usless operating system, when i think of widows i think of many compatable devices and software, good interfaces, and alot of opporunity

As bad as it is I would have to say that Windows is the best operating system on the planet Earth. For one thing Windows is the operating system that most games are made for (I am a pc gamer so I really need this). Windows is much more ram efficient compared to Linux from what I have heard. I have used Windows all my life and I would say that without it I probably would have never gotten a computer in the first place. The only flaw with Windows is security, but I am sure that Microsoft is doing their best to fix that up. Another flaw with Windows that is not a big deal to me is that it is not the best for use as a webserver.

Why do people still ask what the best operating system is?

There is no good answer for that question because it all depence on what you are planning to do with it. So no matter what a poll says on that question it is allways personal and has nothing to do with the reality.

For example:

A gamer would say windowsXP is the best because its hard to get his/her games to work in linux (if they work at all). This is mostly because of the directX protocol most games are based on.

A network operator would say *nix is the best because of the small and secure instalation.

There are 1000 arguments to make why windows is the best and 1000 why 8nix is the best but does it matter?

No it does not matter at all since it all depence on what you want to do with your os.

btw:

wariorpk wrote:

Windows is much more ram efficient compared to Linux from what I have heard.

This is untrue. This story is mostly told by people not knowing how linux works with ram. I dont want to explain it here but take a look arround on the internet and you will see that your ram argument falls appart.

ya pbrugge i think u r right? this is question asked every now and then..... which is the best? which most secure ...... but no body thinks that it is a personal choice what to use or what suits best to him!like for home user windows xp is good.for programer it may be linux.for web server both linux and windows server 2003 may be goodpersonally i use both windows and linux........ my pc has windows xp and slackware 10.2 as a due boot configuration.i use linux for internet usage or for back up perposes.my windows xp is for little gaming , internet, downloads and printing scanning perposes.so i think best os is one which suits u the best that's all!byekaustubh

All operating systems have their benefits and negatives, however the operating systems tend to be suited for a specific purpose.A good example is linux, more suited towards programming, web design by using code rather than WYSIWYG, and the apache server. Macintosh on the other hand, tends to be more suited towards graphic design and print, since the operating system and the work that comes off graphic software (Illustrator, Photoshop, etc) can be printed and displayed more clearly.Windows XP, is the obvious market leader. Despite Windows being suited for most purposes, obviously it does have its minor errors and consumers either love or hate bill. But from experience, its suited well for gaming, business and Web Design (mainly from a WYSIWYG) point of view, although you can code web pages in windows.

When i think on windows, i think one day, it just stops, and needs reinstallation, it also get loads of errors :DWhen i think on Linux, i think on the same as arnz, good to run Webservers on, not get shut down when you sleep (something Windows does, i am running an IRC server on it, but it get problems 50% of the time when i am sleeping, i don't even try HTTPd, i allready have, and that went...awfull).

There's actually noit much chice, not yet. majority of the applications and gamez are built for Windows platform and Gates is still raging on with his smart marketing strategies. The popular OS get to win and Windows is super popular.

welll that guy/girl a couple post above me is right, the one talking about how they all have their purposes just depends on what u are intersted on doing w/ them....... as far as my opinion.. *nixlinux is GREAT for programming and webdesign and self hosting of servers, they also are just plain great servers. fully customizable. no registry to get corrupted. i use SuSe9.2 and ive used Fedora Core, GREAT! windows is only good if i was a gamer, but im not. and im not big on ONE OS claiming 90% of the world.. i like the fact that linux can be programmed, and reprogrammed and individuals can make their own versions, and its mostly freeware.. mac would be great if i was into multimedia, but im not heavily into it... so its still crap.

welll that guy/girl a couple post above me is right, the one talking about how they all have their purposes just depends on what u are intersted on doing w/ them....... as far as my opinion.. *nix

Its a boy!!!! :(

It's how you prefer which functions and compatibility issues when comes to select your best operating system to use.Windows is definately the more popular choice and well-known even for non-IT literate. Support and help can be easily obtained anywhere, even by stopping someone on the streets and ask for help with Windows OS. Installations are much a breeze and drivers compatibility will simply work without much reading to its FAQ frequently.Of course the most popular may be always targeted by virus-writers and hackers. Simply because its the most popular, spreading viruses and hacking can be easily done on the huge population. So Windows OS is never safe.Linux/Mac are Unix based OS that have much much lesser users. Virus writers and hackers find no point hacking users of these OS, simply because its pretty useless and doesn't do much damage to the major community. Unix based OS are harder to use and have minimal support. Installations are a hassle and cannot be done easily by a normal user. Extra time is needed to find compatible drivers, which may eventually not able to obtain one.Many will immediately say Linux is the best, but do they use Linux? For me, I'll say Windows OS is the best operating system for all general use, like now.. I wouldn't want to spend extra time and hassle to install Linux and try to make everything work just to use something that not everybody is using. I would say for general use, no point using Linux unless its on a server task or something related.

It's how you prefer which functions and compatibility issues when comes to select your best operating system to use.

Windows is definately the more popular choice and well-known even for non-IT literate. Support and help can be easily obtained anywhere, even by stopping someone on the streets and ask for help with Windows OS. Installations are much a breeze and drivers compatibility will simply work without much reading to its FAQ frequently.

Of course the most popular may be always targeted by virus-writers and hackers. Simply because its the most popular, spreading viruses and hacking can be easily done on the huge population. So Windows OS is never safe.

Linux/Mac are Unix based OS that have much much lesser users. Virus writers and hackers find no point hacking users of these OS, simply because its pretty useless and doesn't do much damage to the major community. Unix based OS are harder to use and have minimal support. Installations are a hassle and cannot be done easily by a normal user. Extra time is needed to find compatible drivers, which may eventually not able to obtain one.

Many will immediately say Linux is the best, but do they use Linux?

For me, I'll say Windows OS is the best operating system for all general use, like now.. I wouldn't want to spend extra time and hassle to install Linux and try to make everything work just to use something that not everybody is using. I would say for general use, no point using Linux unless its on a server task or something related.

224531[/snapback]

:(

Oke first of all i am a Linux user for almost 6 years now and as you can read in my reply a fewpost back i don't think its the best OS (doh for me it feels better as windows) . I am not a pro but I know the system good enough to say that some partsof what you say about linux is bull.

There are viruses written for linux it also has itsvirusscanners. Also linux systems get hacked since hackers don't look at the system they only want to now if they can get in. (mind Hackers not Crackers/Scriptkiddies), thats also why there are allot of ways to set a firewall in linux.

taken from grisoft aka AVG.

Although Linux systems are among the most resistant to virus attacks, experts agree that all computer users should take precautionary measures by installing an antivirus program to address potential threats.

When I started with linux making my soundcard to work was like a little hell on earth but linux came a long way and nowdays its harder to find something that isnot supported in a way by linux. Oke for some things you still need to lookk for drivers on the internet but this isgeting better by the day. if you have a modern system I doubt that there would be allot that doesn't work right away.

Imo linux is easier to use as windows, but when you used windows all your live its hard to make the step to think in a diferent way. The learn-curve in linux is a bit higher but when you tasted it and realy tried it most people (I say most not all) agree that linux is easier as they thougt. All it takes is letting go the windows way of thinking.

And support on *nix is bad?? Where have you been m8? Take a look on the irc channels of irc.freenode.net and see that there is lots of help. Even the dumbest questions will get a answer. Also the site of the distro you took has a forum to ask questions most of the time. If you bought linux in a store (Suse for instance) you are mostly entiteld to get support from the Suse team.

Installations are a hassle and cannot be done easily by a normal user

I had to reinstall my system a few days back because my harddisk died and I Installed both linux (debian) and WindowsXP guess which one was up and running with all drivers, software and updates the fastest??

Yes debian regardless the fact i needed to find a driver for my webcam. and you know why?

The basic system of Windows was done really fast but then i needed to install my virusscanner and firewall. After that and a reboot (why does windows always have to reboot after installing a system-tool??) I was told by a balloon that I needed to update my virusscanner and firewall because they where to old.. Oke so I did.

Only a few seconds later a new baloon telling me that there were updates availeble for windows and if i would like to install them.. Oke I want to have my system up to date so I did. After the intstallation of the update windowstold me it had to reboot again :( But oke thats windows.

Finaly I thought now I have my system and I can work on it.. Wrong.. There was no office software installed yet and since I need excel for my school I needed to install officeXp. So I did an guess???

Yup again windows wanted me to reboot :(

I also needed to install Nero to burn backups and again after te installation I wasask to reboot my system :(:D

but oke in your opinion thats easier as answer a few questions when you install linux and pick the 'desktop' option when provided to have a full working system with office-software and a burner and more?? (you can also pick packages by hand if you want to reduce system space)???

Linux never did force me to reboot the complete system even not when i installed a new kernel...