xisto Community
brandice

Removing Web/ftp Stats they probably take up a bit of room?

While looking through my awstats today, I was wondering how to remove some of the older stats. I've had my site here for about 16 months now and so there's an awful lot of information in my space that's just taking up room, right? I've even got info for subdomains that I've long since deleted.How or what exactly do I delete to clear the old ones out without messing it up for the next months? I don't want to mess anything up. ;)

I believe you could. I think the stats pages just look to see what months are in the folder, but I could be wrong.If you do this, you would have to be careful with what you delete. There are some files in the tmp folder that you need for the stats to work and for the current/future months.I don't know, but I personally would leave them alone. The stats really don't take much space up. I have been here for aprox. 5 months and my tmp folder is only 2 mb. I don't see a point in deleting the stats because for you I'm guessing it would only free up around 8-9 mb but if your really desperate for space, I guess you could try it. What you would want to do though is first back-up the files then delete them so that if it does mess up, you can simply put them back ;)Hope it helps, xJedix

thanks. I'm not really desperate for space, I just don't see the point in taking up space for stuff I really don't need anymore. I'm kind of going through that spring cleaning thing now, taking down pictures that I don't have up on my pages anymore and whatnot.So I did some investingating into the /tmp folder. the analog section was confusing so I didn't so anything with it. In Awstats, I left the files that ended in .conf alone, as well as the ones that started with dnscachelastupdate. After backing them up on my computer I deleted all of the files (except for the current month) that looked like this: awstats122004.brandice.trap17.com.txt and there doesn't seem to be a problem. The webalizer pages seem to be taking up the most room, 128k each. I got rid of some older months that looked like this: usage_200412.html without a problem.I don't know how much of a difference any of that will make, but I did do some deleting that cleared up quite a bit yesterday. I went through all of my folders and took out the log files that my FTP client sticks in automatically when I upload anything. I'm not exaggerating here- it cleared up over 5mb of room. crazy.

I don't know how much of a difference any of that will make, but I did do some deleting that cleared up quite a bit yesterday. I went through all of my folders and took out the log files that my FTP client sticks in automatically when I upload anything. I'm not exaggerating here- it cleared up over 5mb of room. crazy.

214886[/snapback]

Hmm... sounds interesting. I would not anticipate that auto-generated logs would actually eat up that much space. This gives me an idea of what to do when my hosting space begins to look clogged up... thanks for sharing!