xisto Community
andrescasta

Dell D600 Questions

Hello, i have a Dell D600 laptop, and i want to know if it is prossible to upgrade the processor to the Dothan series , anyone tryed this?? The laptop specifications:Pentim M1.6 FSB 400 1mb L2 cache (Banias)512MB 266DDR 1 modules (1 slot free)MotherBoard Intel i855PM Rev. 3, BIOS A16Another question i have is this:This laptop come with a Ati RADEON 9000 with 32mb (not onboard), and the aperture size is : 128mb, in the bios there isn?t a option to change it, So if i add a new 512mb module of ram(1GB total RAM), the system automatically will increase the aperture size or not???If anyone know something about this......Thank's

Dell D600 Hard drive upgrade

Dell D600 Questions

Hi, can anyone tell what 7200rpm 80Gb (or upwards) hard drives would fit into a Dell D600? I'm looking to upgrade but don't know what interface I can use (SATA PATA ATA?) so any help would be appreciated. I'm looking for a 7200rpm drive as I want to use the laptop for music. I'd also like a drive that isn't too pricey.

Thanks in advance. David

-question by David Burgoyne

For David I recommend checking out the Dell website to see what hard drives they provide for the Dell Latitude D600 as they have a lot of different hard drives to go with this computer and quite expensive as well.

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

My Dell has a 250Dell D600 Questions

First, don't buy the Dell drives - overpriced.

I am running Vista Home Premium on a D600 with 2 gig of RAM and a 250 gig hard drive. BIOS is A16, so only shows 137 gig in BIOS but Vista uses all the disk.

The drive is a Western Digital Scorpio WD2500BEVE.

As to the BIOS, A16 is the last official Dell BIOS. Are there any stable unofficial BIOSes out there?

-reply by heisdeadjim

Dell D600 questions: upgrade beyond 137GBDell D600 Questions

Apparently you need to partition the hard disk if the size is beyond 137 GB as the BIOS only recognizes this as a maximum size. So partition to 135 GB each.

Dell D600 - 320gb hard driveDell D600 Questions

I purchased a wd 320gb hard drive and installed it on my D600.  After formatting the drive with my Windows XP disc, the laptop will not reboot.  If it tries to read from the hard drive it says there is a read error.  If I try to boot from my XP disc, it reaches the "inspecting hardware configuration" and then the screen goes blank.  I have already updated the BIOS to A16.  Any ideas?

-reply by Mike

dell d600Dell D600 Questions

my dell d600 laptop caharger is not working when I plug it in to the wall the light dose not come on and it makes a beeping noise what can be the problem

-reply by louisa

D600 keyboard status lights stay on?Dell D600 Questions

I have a D600 laptop that has a problem with the keyboard status lights. All three lights above the keyboard remain on constantly. I'd like to know if this condition has ever been seen by anyone else or if there is any possible solution. Thanks.

-reply by davej

Computer wonDell D600 QuestionsI recently purchased and installed a 160g hard drive, but when I try to install xp, it says there is no hard drive installed. Is there some sort of software I need to install or something? What might be the problem?-reply by jeremiah

Wrong drivesDell D600 Questions

The most probable reason that your hard drives are not working is you have bought them with the wrong interface. The motherboard won't support SATA drives they only take old IDE drives just search around you'll find some.

D600 FreezesDell D600 Questions

I got a used Dell D600 with XP Pro, bios A16. From a cold boot, it will get to the  Welcome screen and then the keyboard and mouse freeze. If I power off and reboot, and it may show the desktop before it freezes.   It seems to take longer to freeze up each power off /reboot cycle. After about four or five  reboots it eventually stays up and works for hours with no problem.

Any ideas on what's happening? I ran memtest86 for a few hours and didn't see any errors.