xisto Community
vicentral

Understanding Memory

Should you live with a minimum amount of RAM and save a few dollars, or should you spend some extra cash and load up the system? Just how much memory is enough? The answer really depends on what you're doing with the PC; RAM requirements can vary from system to system. Let's do the math....
Stephen J. Bigelow is the author of Troubleshooting, Maintaining, and Repairing Personal Computers (Fifth Edition).

Notice from mayank:
Copied from http://www.mafhoum.com/press3/93T42.htm
Please note that you have to add quotes to everything which you copy from anywhere. Warning Issued.

Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)

Nice guide, I agree it depends on what you will you will use your computer for. ;) Some tings take more memory like games but if you are just working on your computer with programs like Flash or something then you wont need any big memory, you just need to have the usualy 256MB RAM. ;)

I also recommend upgrading and not adding more, if your going to spend money, save and spend it good, and get a 512MB stick instead of having two 256MB ones, as later on you can then add another 512MB if needed or wanted.

That's a really informative guide. Thanls man. Keep it coming. As for me I don't require that much memory since I mostly use my PC for surfind and reading and maybe a little bit of coding. But these darn anti-virii really take up RAM but there's no ther option <sigh>.

From experience 512MB of ram should be all you need right now. I used to use a computer with 1gig of DDR ram and when I purchased a new computer I got one with 512 DDR2 ram and I can't tell any difference in my computer use. They both run quite smooth with the latest games and applications. I am not sure if it is because I went from DDR to DDR2.

What are you playing, Arigato? I have a fair bit of slow-down in some games (although I crank the realism settings up all the way), and I'm using 2Gb of RAM (although I believe it is only DDR; not DDR2, so that would be a factor).

in today's normal computer application such as browsing, office applications, 512MB is enough, well you can also have a decent performance with 256MB, but I agree memory in computer system is the first one to be considered when upgrading, bigger memory really help a lot

From my experience, the more RAM you have the better. Todays computers actually have about 1024 MB, or 1GB of memory to power their PC. Some home computers even go as large as 2GB. The demand for RAM will always grow, but the more you have, the less wear and tear there will be on your computer. For example, if you open many applications and tools at the same time, you use a lot of RAM. Once you run out of your available RAM, then your hard drive makes Page Files, which immitates RAM, but it is extremely slow. It's like comparing a turtle to a Viper. One is extremely fast, while the other is sluggishly slow. It also is hard on the hard drive. hehe So buy as much RAM as you can afford, and put it in your computer. Your computer will thank you for it by running far faster, and with an extended lifespan. Windows XP is a hog when it comes to RAM, and it always will use up 2/3 of whatever is in your computer. I'm hoping the next version of Windows, called Vista coming out sometime next year will not be such a hog, but knowing Microsoft, they'll make the minimum specs be 1/2 a GB, or 512 MB minimum. To run properly, it will probably need 1GB. :D

Yeah very nice guide!im more int the gameing i put my min at 1 gig just so i have some to spare lol!plus i like running itunes and maybe a few other this such as trillian and or a webbrowser while playing so i need a little more than normal plus the more you have the safer you are lol!for most normal people use you dont need more than 512 but heh if u want to spend money go ahead id spend it more on the hd or cpu or graphics card if i were you lol!For editing programs such as photo shop and Maya and stuff like taht you will need gameing preformonce if not better because those programs can kick the computers but lolbut yeah the more you have can be better but after a certian amount its a waste... but it all depends on waht you do