xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Ie/notepad Programming Error

i was visting Xisto.com and i came to this post http://forums.xisto.com/topic/87860-i-feel-it-like-a-bug-in-windows-xp-do-you-bug-in-windows-xp/=

i found it rather amuzing and tried it out myself and funny it happen.

try this:

on your desktop make a new folder then call it notepad not open up IE and then right click like your going to open up a doc to see the source code but instead of getting notepad you get the new folder you just made instead.

the members thought it was the os others think its IE.

But I would have to go with IE programming error since your are operating the browser and its connected to the os meaning theirs a code in IE which links up to files on your system but how could you not differentiate from the .exe files and regular files? Also the Windows ME-XP has dynamic desktops which are used heavily for IE broswers.

so what do you think it is?

hey, that's gold! I think it's probably more likely to be an operating system error though, because all the "View Source" button does is call the shell command "Edit" on the HTML file.Wait no, I just tried that and it opened Notepad. hmmm... It's kind of hard to code a bug like that though, especially by mistake! Maybe the Internet Explorer team decided to add it in on purpose so they could tweak certain features or something.... I put such a 'backdoor' command into the last piece of software I wrote ;)Then again, the Microsoft Internet Explorer team aren't 16 year old kids who like to extend their access privelidges on their school computers *wink wink*

I guess its an Easteregg.Some Tricks which Developer plays with the user. To get something crazy things done. I hope u all know that.Or Try googling it.Some of the famous eastereggs arein Win 98 - Go to screensaver tab ofthe desktop property window and select the screensaver where u can type ur name. i can't rem. the name of the Screensaver excatly. now go and type Volcano over there. Windows will display the name of all the volcanoes of the world.Cool things. Programmers do that when they get Bored or Extra Creative I guess.I do that too. lol.

Wow it works.. But crappy.. Think the developers programmed IE in a way such that it uses any text editors available on the desktop first..Easter Egg..? I was think it might be it also..

yeah but think about the virus making implications that could be done with this error though, someone could get very creative with it.

Wow, this is weird. I never knew that if you had a folder named this it would run by the view source. After all, view source just opens up the html page using the notepad program which defaultly comes with the windows operating system. Hmmmmm, maybe it could've been a mistake whereby it looks for anything called notepad on the desktop for those people who move it from its default directory?As said above though, it's more likely to be programmers being bored being creative.Anyhow, I don't believe this is a virus vulnerability, as there isn't anything major you can do, or display, it just opens a file which you'd obviously see as soon as you go to your desktop, i.e. when first booting up your computer.I wonder what else microsoft have embedded in their code ;)