xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
itssami

How To Use Ftp

You first need a ftp manager like SmartFTP from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ Your address is ftp.faisalabad.be Your log in name is your cpanel name and the password is your cpanel password. You can then access everything from your site from your ftp manager. Enter your public_html folder, create a new folder called forums or whatever you would like, upload all of the files by either copying and pasting the files into there or by right clicking on the interface and click upload files. Then just install the forum using the read me.

I would rather advice you to zip all your files using winZIP and upload to your site using the username and password for cPanel and then use the file manager option to unzip the 100+ files by a click. It is much faster this way. You may as well do all the mods before uploading the files instead of editing and uploading many times.

I'd recommend that you use FlashFXP as your FTP manager but if you don't wanna spent money on it go for FileZilla.

After you have installed anyone of these software you need to get phpBB which can be dowbloaded from this page. I recommend that you download the file in tar.gz format. Its very small and can be extracted using the file manager (I'm not so sure whether the file manager is able to unzip Zip files as I have not yet tried it. Anyways phpBB setup in tar.gz is much smaller).

In case you are not familiar with Xisto FTP configuration....

Address: ftp.<yourdomainname>.trap17.com

Port: 21

Username: <your_id_on_forum>

Password: <your_password>

After you have logged in, browse to the public_html folder and upload the phpBB setup file there. Goto your cPanel at <yourdomainname>.trap17.com/cpanel an enter the file manager. Goto public_html (click on the flder icons to the left of the folder name to open a folder) there and select the phpBB archive. Now some options will appear on the pane to the top of the trashbox. Among them is an 'Extract' link. Click on it and your forum scripts will be unzipped to public_html/phpBB/ . You can rename that folder if you wish to.

About installing phpBB. You must first have a MySQl database whoich can be created from the mysql option in cpanel. Goto /phpBB/install/ to start the instalation script which will ask you for some settings. After you have filled in everything appropriately you'll be send to your homepage from where you can start building your own community.

Hope you found this useful.

- Freesoul