xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
andrescasta

Internet Ok, Network Inaccessible?

The last couple days have been... interesting... (as in the curse - may you live in interesting times). One of our PCs keeps loosing the network. Internet works fine, I can ping the router, server, other PC's, DNS servers, websites, etc., AOL (Hissss) works fine, IE too. But it can't see the domain or any server shares. It could Wed., but not Thurs or today. Unattach and reattach cables, repair connections, reboot, reassign to the domain, etc., all to no avail. Also tried both DHCP and manual addressing. System Restore to Wed AM's restore point and its fine (McAffee needed updating, but that's ok) for the day. Get in the next AM, same problem. Restore to Wed's restore point and update McAffee, and its ok. Came back later, same problem again. Since I'm going on vacation next week, I created a new restore point (while it was working) for the user to use in case it happens while I'm gone, and that restore point doesn't work, but Wed's still does. When it's not working, the basic error message is the same 'Incorrect Function'. The rest depends on whether I'm clicking a link to the share, joining the domain, mapping a drive letter, etc. "Domain is not accessible. You might not have permission to... Incorrect function" "The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occurred: The network location cannot be reached" "Your computer could not be joined to the domain because the following error has occurred: Incorrect function" After I come back, I will probably reformat/reinstall XP, but if anyone has any ideas before then, I'd love to hear them.

We had trouble with our network at one stage because we had two computers with a direct link set to Auto-Assign IP adress... problem was that both computers tried to obtain an adress from each other and ended up just timing out.Aside from that, it sounds like MacAfee could well have something to do with the problem.It definately looks like a software/driver issue of some kind- maybe it's related to some kind of a network time-date stamp or something? like timing out over a much longer amount of time? Also if you're using multiple operating systems, it could be a weird OS conflict. We experienced that across XP/ME.Maybe there's a conflict within the names of the shared sites or any other naming conflict of some kind.Also I'm not sure if this can actually happen, but maybe some of the shared sites are listed as temporarily shared. That could have something to do with it.Lastly you might want to run a virus/adware scan just to double check (although it sounds obvious).Best of luck.

Ah... This is another classic network question..Firstly, and most probably, the problem lies on the settings of your router/firewall.. If its not your router/firewall, its probably be your ISP's or a gateway, or a company's/organisation's router/firewall that your connection is needed to pass through.. It depends on their settings on profiles.. They, the administrators, might have configured such that it worked such way, blocking access on various times etc. It is possible for advance routers/firewalls.. Cisco have that...Secondly, check your own software firewall if you have one..Most probably you need not format your computer because it should be a minor network configuration setting..

HiIf I understood you well,you say that internet works fine,and you just can't see local computers and shares. Doesn't seem like a router or main firewall problem.I suspect McAffee is responsible for that.Or a firewall on that particular computer.If you use windows firewall,something could have messed it up.Probably McAffee.Maybe firewall in now blocking ICMP packets,or entire local IP range.What OS are you using for a router?Windows or Linux?Maybe you changed local IP network?There can be hundreds of possibilities.Networks are very sensitive to different errors.But in your case,it seems very likely it has something to do with windows.I'm 99.9% certain of it.If it were some hardware fault,router or firewall,then network wouldn't work even after restoration to Wed. restore point.It's windows,and you're probably right to want to reinstall.That should solve the problem.Cheers

network problemsInternet Ok, Network Inaccessible?

check your computer's name > don't complicate it like putting dashes or periods.

Secondly, check the services of your windows machine > go to > RUN > type > services.Msc then check the tcp/ip netbios helper make it sure it was automatc and running and also the computer browser.

Third, restart both pc... See if that problems is solved...

RJDREYES

-reply by rjdreyes

Internet Ok, Network Inaccessible?Internet Ok, Network Inaccessible?

I have the same issue currently. It seems that if I restart IE then th network access kicks back in. I've reinstalled ie and still the issue occurs. Try installing and using firefox and see if you still have the issue

hope this helps

-reply by nial

internet explorer not openInternet Ok, Network Inaccessible?

pc in lan ping is possibal to the server and other client pc but internet explorer is not open and sites will not open. Firewall is off. What to do? pc is share with other pc but internet is not open other client is able to access sites.

-question by ajay