xisto Community
andrescasta

A8n-e Board Problem!

I have an A8N-E board, with an Athlon 64 X2 4200+ processor and thermalright XP-120 heatsink and panaflo 120mm fan... vid card is a geforce 6600GT PCI-e. the case is a 'navigator-x' from Aspire and it came with a 500w power supply (its see through and glows ) i put in the CPU, put arctic silver on it, put on the heatsink, put on the fan. put in the vid card, hooked up the hard drive (a maxtor SATA drive), and plugged in the DVD+RW drive. i press the power button and everything lights up. all the fans (like 5 of them) start spinning, PS fan is spinning, cpu fan is spinning, vid card and mobo fans are spinning...dvd drive opens up, i make out the sound of the HD powering up...but no beeps, nothing on the monitor. and pressing power again doesn't turn it off. any ideas? i got the board from newegg, i ordered it monday. what do you recommend i do to trouble shoot it? i have another system here with an antec 430w power supply, but no replacement socket939 processors, or PCI-e video card/motherboards. it had two connectors for power for the motherboard. a 24-pin connector and a 4 ping connector. i plugged them both in. i am about to try taking out the mobo and powering it up outside of the case, after taking off and re-installing the CPU. if that fails, what next? is it possible for the CPU to be fried? or would it just be the mobo that i would have to RMA with newegg... and if the mobo is the weak link here, what kind should i get? i don't think getting another one of these shoddy Asus products is too tempting at the moment. (i took all precautions, grounded myself on the case before i touched the thing)

What about your RAM ?Is see it uses Dual Channel memory are there 2 RAMS plugged in and are they identical ?An other option is do a full reset (with the jumper on the mainbord) of the BIOS.

What about your RAM ?

Is see it uses Dual Channel memory are there 2 RAMS plugged in and are they identical ?

An other option is do a full reset (with the jumper on the mainbord) of the BIOS.

212912[/snapback]

Yes they are identical

Checked power connectors and made sure everything was plugged in correctly? If you must, reconnect everything again... I just had my computer put together with an A8N-SLI board, and it booted up no problem. As your friend said - maybe try just booting up the motherboard. It's possible your chip got fried, but I'm sure you would have been careful putting it together ;)If it really doesn't work, just take it back as dead on arrival.

I had the same problem with my A8N-E that I ordered from New Egg. It was DOA. had to send it back to ASUS for replacement..... I wish I demanded my money back at this point because the chipset fan just went on it. I've had nothing but bad luck with this board, and would recomend anyone demanding a refund. It's an understatement to say that their customer service leaves something to be desired. Send it back and buy a gigabyte mobo.

Gigabyte have an even worse reputation then Asus for reliability. I would get an Asus a8n-Sli Deluxe, but thats me. Not a single problem with that board, and i had it for 6 months now.Really though, it sounds more like "New Egg" is the problem, try getting a refun and buying from a different place. You could also try DFI, but really it sounds more like this place doesnt take proper care of thier products.

Well I have a ASUS A8N-E motherboard and it works great. I have it since september and I had no problem with it. I don't know why you are saying that ASUS have a reliability issue, but I must say I am very happy with my computer. You should probably check out the ASUS forum support since they do a very nice job of helping users almoust in real time.

in case the problem is still not solved I would start from the very beginning again, remove all components then install them again one at a time. First is the CPU and its fan only, power it on, usually a beep or error message will be heard, if you got some beep then chances are your board and CPU is fine, install now the memory and the video card then see if you can get the system to display.Now if when the CPU is installed and the system does not give you anything then this would be the time to contact newegg, again it could be your cpu or the board.