xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
wow

Apache Http Server Setup

I have apache http server setup on my machine now.For awhile I had it setup to use locally,but never could figure out how to use it to server globally now I am able to do such a thing.There is quite a bit for me to learn yet about the darn thing.
I found a good link that I would like to share with those that have tryed in the past,and failed hopfully this may shed some light for you as it has for me.Also if you have been trying to run your own server on your machine,and cannt quite figure out how to still feel free to PM me ,and i will do my best to get you up and running. The magic link for me was.
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
I hope this helps it did me also be sure to read the doc file over well for the server. :P

...I'm on dialup...

Hmm, running a public server on dial-up? That's dedication.

Anyway, well done for figuring out how to work the world's most popular web server. Just make sure you don't open yourself up to any potentially dangerous security problems.

Another really, really good tutorial can be found at http://www.webmasterstop.com/48.html. At that address, the tutorial doesn't only explain how to set up Apache, but also PHP, MySql, phpMyAdmin, and Zend Optimizer, for Windows. In short, it explains how to create a W.A.M.P (Windows-Apache-MySql-PHP) server.

The only thing not really good about the tutorial is that it doesn't use the most recent software as examples. It explains the entire set up process in detail, but only for

Apache - Apache 2.0.53 Win32 BinaryPHP - PHP 4.3.10 Windows Installer
MySQL - MySQL 4.1.10a Windows (x86)
phpMyAdmin - phpMyAdmin 2.6.1-pl3 Zip Version
Zend Optimizer - Zend Optimizer 2.5.7 Windows

However, it's so detailed that every click in the installers are described and every line of code needed to be added (if there are any) are quoted.

I highly recommend it.

Right now I don't have the link at hand, but for each component (PHP, Apache, etc.) there are good tutorials for the newest versions by separated, it's only a matter of looking for them using a search engine. To me, they are the best combination, not because they are free, they're really reliable and "lite"