xisto Community
niloc

Sony Virus sony xcp software on cds

sony have been putting software ( called xcp ) on some of their audio cds.
if you play these cds on your pc it automaticallyinstalls software on your pc.
this software uses "rootkit" to hide the file from the user.

here is a list of cds with the xcp software.

Trey Anastasio, Shine (Columbia)Celine Dion, On ne Change Pas (Epic)
Neil Diamond, 12 Songs (Columbia)
Our Lady Peace, Healthy in Paranoid Times (Columbia)
Chris Botti, To Love Again (Columbia)
Van Zant, Get Right with the Man (Columbia)
Switchfoot, Nothing is Sound (Columbia)
The Coral, The Invisible Invasion (Columbia)
Acceptance, Phantoms (Columbia)
Susie Suh, Susie Suh (Epic)
Amerie, Touch (Columbia)
Life of Agony, Broken Valley (Epic)
Horace Silver Quintet, Silver's Blue (Epic Legacy)
Gerry Mulligan, Jeru (Columbia Legacy)
Dexter Gordon, Manhattan Symphonie (Columbia Legacy)
The Bad Plus, Suspicious Activity (Columbia)
The Dead 60s, The Dead 60s (Epic)
Dion, The Essential Dion (Columbia Legacy)
Natasha Bedingfield, Unwritten (Epic)
Ricky Martin, Life (Columbia) (labeled as XCP, but, oddly, our disc had no protection)

the software limits listeners' ability to copy the music onto their computers, and locks copied files so they cannot be freely distributed over the Internet.
it also also secretly communicates with sony over the internet when listeners play the discs.
hackers must have looked at this and redesigned the xcp code to communicate other secret data to the hacker from the users pc , like bank details etc.
it looks as though sony and first 4 internet ( the software writers ) might be facing a big law suit over this one.

Yep, apparently they're recalling ALL of the cds so they don't get sued, but it still may be too late. The software opened the user's computer to hackers, as well as the Sony Company. It was intended to prevent burning or copying the cds, and so that Sony could monitory whether you did that or not. Apparently hackers can do the same..Let's hope that not many people have put the music on their computer yet.

Well Sony has jsut lost respect from. I do think music piracy needs to stop. But Sony came at it the wrong way. Did they not think someone would find it out? I haven't bought none of those cd's but I imagine there probably is quite a few people out there that did. Guessing people can sue for invasion of privacy of so degree? As you can tell I'm not a lawyer :P THey could of atleast stated it contains a root kit on the cd package some where. It didn't even have to visable without searching for it. Atleast that way the could cover themself from getting sued. With that said anyone here bought or knows some who bought one of those Cds?

Hmm is there no way to edit a post? Anyway after rereading the first post I seen"Ricky Martin, Life (Columbia) (labeled as XCP, but, oddly, our disc had no protection)"So does that mean they put the XCP in writing visable on the disks? If so that might cover them from lawsuits maybe.

this is old news :PAnyways, they pretty much violated a number of known laws, and it's not like the people who wrote the rootkit accidentally made a few hundred thousand consecutive typos and a rootkit came out the other end. They knew what they were doing (writing a rootkit) and should have known it was just a little illegal. They deserve to be litigated off the face of the earth.And that's just the software people. Don't get me started on sony XD

Wow... and some smart hackers get a lot of time in jail just becouse they created some little virus/worm...Huh... i never belived that some big company would do thing like this, and especialy SONY ?!? im just intrested... wath if i wont to listen that cd's on my Linux :P

sony have been putting software ( called xcp ) on some of their audio cds.if you play these cds on your pc it automaticallyinstalls software on your pc.

the software limits listeners' ability to copy the music onto their computers, and locks copied files so they cannot be freely distributed over the Internet.
it also also secretly communicates with sony over the internet when listeners play the discs.
hackers must have looked at this and redesigned the xcp code to communicate other secret data to the hacker from the users pc , like bank details etc.
it looks as though sony and first 4 internet ( the software writers ) might be facing a big law suit over this one.

is there any motorola virus?

sony have been putting software ( called xcp ) on some of their audio cds.if you play these cds on your pc it automaticallyinstalls software on your pc.

the same as microsoft did in xp sp2 (little differance)