mysql_query(ALTER TABLE `xxx` ORDER BY `no`;);

Why i cant run the above code?!

But i can directly type and run this code in phpmyadmin's sql query

ALTER TABLE `xxx` ORDER BY `no`;

:P

Notice from jlhaslip:
Modified title

Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)

Well, assuming that what you have written here is exactly what you've put on your web page... then i can see that you should have quotes around your query string. Also, I think you don't need the semi colon in the query string.I always use a variable as the query string. something like $query="blah"; and then mysql_query($query); I think this is better.

My guess is cause you placed a semicolon inside the query, which makes php think you've ended the line. So, try this:

mysql_query(ALTER TABLE `xxx` ORDER BY `no`);

A semicolon can be placed within quotes and PHP will treat it simply as a string. As no9t9 noted, the query should be in quotes between the brackets of the mysql_query() function.

mysql_query('ALTER TABLE `xxx` ORDER BY `no`;');

Oh, it may also be worth noting that when sending queries to MySQL via PHP, they do not need to be terminated in themselves via a semicolon, as it is done automatically. So mysql_query('blah'); would have exactly the same result as mysql_query('blah;');

you should remember that mysql_query() is a function that accepts strings... therefore as what Spectre have said you should put it in between ' ' as you would in a normal string... but if you use ' inside your query then use the " instead...like this one -> mysql_query("SELECT * FROM tablename WHERE name='you'");or your could always code it this way which is more often used mehtod of codingquery = "SELECT * FROM tablename WHERE name='you'";return = mysql_query(query);i hope this helps... if not.. well too bad :P

Certainly true, although I would still recommend using single quotes where possible and simply escaping any other single quotation marks which are required to appear in the query:

'SELECT * FROM tablename WHERE name=\'you\'';

Using double quotes slows the operation down. Although it probably wouldn't affect small sites or scripts that aren't used a great deal, those which operate constantly will start to notice it. Although it's sometimes easier and more practical to use double quotes, in my opinion, it's usually a better idea and general good coding practice to use single quotes and simply escape any instances required to appear in the string, as well as adding variables outside of it (eg. 'SELECT * FROM table WHERE field =\'' . $variable . '\' LIMIT 3').

well~

mysql_query(ALTER TABLE `xxx` ORDER BY `no`);
mysql_query('ALTER TABLE `xxx` ORDER BY `no`');
mysql_query('ALTER TABLE \'xxx\' ORDER BY \'no\'');
mysql_query("ALTER TABLE `xxx` ORDER BY `no`");
mysql_query("ALTER TABLE 'xxx' ORDER BY 'no'");

I finished testing.

All of above cannot work!!

I want to know whether php can use order function. :)

PHP communicates directly with MySQL, and provided the user you are accessing the database with has the correct privelages, any command can be executed. Which would lead me to think you're doing something wrong somewhere else in the code.

PHP communicates directly with MySQL, and provided the user you are accessing the database with has the correct privelages, any command can be executed. Which would lead me to think you're doing something wrong somewhere else in the code.

210158[/snapback]

So.....what's wrong with the code??

Please correct it~~ :)

You need to provide more information. How can we tell what is wrong from a single line of code? What is the error message you are getting?? Do you even have a table called xxx and in that table is there a column called no?

You need to provide more information.  How can we tell what is wrong from a single line of code?  What is the error message you are getting??  Do you even have a table called xxx and in that table is there a column called no?

210215[/snapback]

Of course i have that table and colunm.

I had said before

Why i cant run the above code?!

Actually, there is only a main code.

You asked the above question seem to be kidding me. ;)

Why don't you read my article completely before replying.

Why don't you ask me whether my connection password is correct or not.

Anyway, forgive my non-enough information. :P

Here is the whole file.

There is no error message with nothing happen.

<?$ip="localhost";$user="xxx";$pw="xxx";$link=mysql_connect($ip,$user,$pw)or die ("Could not connect"); mysql_select_db("xxx");mysql_query(ALTER TABLE `xxx` ORDER BY `no`);mysql_close($link);?>

So I want to know whether php can use order function.

What's going on??! :)

of course i will ask stupid questions if you simply post a statement like "what's wrong... Please correct..." Do you expect people to be mind readers? People need information to in order to resolve problems.

1) in your sql query statement you don't need the quotes around the table name or the column name (but this should't be causing the problem).
2) you talked about user name and password... well did you check them? do they match in your control panel? did you grant permissions to that user to your database you are trying to access?
3) if there is no error message how do you know there was an error? if you've already run the query in phpmyadmin, the table will already have been ordered according to the query. if you run the same query again, nothing will happen
4) make sure you are selecting the right database in your mysql_select_db function
5) the code looks fine to me, so it is not a coding issue
6) use mysql_error funtion so that it tells you what the error is (if there is one).
7) And last, I used the 'ALTER TABLE xxx ORDER BY yyy' function and it works fine.

<?$ip="localhost";$user="xxx";$pw="xxx";$link=mysql_connect($ip,$user,$pw) or die ("Error:".mysql_error()); mysql_select_db("xxx") or die ("Error:".mysql_error());mysql_query(ALTER TABLE `xxx` ORDER BY `no`) or die ("Error:".mysql_error());mysql_close($link);?>

Here is my full report. :P

User name , password, permission,etc ..

all are normal~

1. can run successfully ( this code is for testing only)

<?$ip="localhost";$user="xxx";$pw="xxx";$link=mysql_connect($ip,$user,$pw) or die ("Error:".mysql_error()); mysql_select_db("xxx") or die ("Error:".mysql_error());//mysql_query(ALTER TABLE `xxx` ORDER BY `no`) or die ("Error:".mysql_error());mysql_query("UPDATE xxx SETip='test' ,password='test' where no=41");mysql_close($link);?>

2. can run this code in phpmyadmin's sql query directly
ALTER TABLE `xxx` ORDER BY `no`

3. cannot run this code in phpmyadmin's sql query and a error is shown

mysql_query(ALTER TABLE `xxx` ORDER BY `no`)
error message

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax.  Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'mysql_query(ALTER TABLE `xxx` ORDER BY `no`)' at line 1

4. After run this file, a error is shown.

<?$ip="localhost";$user="xxx";$pw="xxx";$link=mysql_connect($ip,$user,$pw) or die ("Error:".mysql_error()); mysql_select_db("xxx") or die ("Error:".mysql_error());mysql_query(ALTER TABLE `xxx` ORDER BY `no`) or die ("Error:".mysql_error());//mysql_query("UPDATE xxx SETip='test' ,password='test' where no=41");mysql_close($link);?>

error message:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/xxx/public_html/test.php on line 9

line 9 means

mysql_query(ALTER TABLE `xxx` ORDER BY `no`) or die ("Error:".mysql_error());
* I manage the table into descending order before every testing.

* phpmyadmin version: 2.6.4-pl2

* php version: 4.3.10

* PERL version: 5.8.4

please help to solve this strange problem~~ :P

Everyone mentioned it! You used

mysql_query(ALTER TABLE `xxx` ORDER BY `no`) or die ("Error:".mysql_error());
when you're supposed to have the quotes!

Try this on line 9.
mysql_query("ALTER TABLE 'xxx' ORDER BY 'no'") or die ("Error:".mysql_error());

P.S. Please understand this! Replace the line, OK?