xisto Community
kevlar557

My Parents That Won't Get Broadband

I've been asking for DSL or cable internet for over 3 years. My parents seem to think its not worth the 35 dollars to upgrade. We are paying 15 dollars now for the Netzero 3G(which doesn't work with linux). My parents also get extremely mad that I take up so much time on the phone, but they won't do anything about it. It just doesn't mane any sense to me why that they won't spend 20 more dollars to get broadband.

yeah dude, it's not the end of the world! For all your browsing needs, dialup works fine! It's just when you want to download big files that broadband is most useful... and even then, it's not necissarily the answer... i've got 256K broadband and only 300 MB a month, so the biggest program i could download is 50 MB or something without pushing the allowance over the limit.also, you're parents are just trying to do what they think is best. i don't reckon it'd be as easy as it looks to make decisions like that from their point of view :PAlso, your dialup internet should work fine with linux if you have a compatible modem... i reckon you could probably pick one up for less than $50 if you go to a computer fair or something.Don't let it get to you man- we don't always understand peoples decisions, but sometimes we've just got to accept them... specially if they're your parents :Dpeace out :P

Just ask your parents for a broadband for a month trial..once they have had a good shot of it..trust me you will not go back...when i tried 56k after having broadband..i didnt know how i had the patience in the first place to wait for pages to load on 56k...just ask your parents for a trial :P

well you can tell your parents this if im right about netzero its dialup then let them know that they will save more money on broadband due to the fact that 1 your not using a a phone line to tie up the phone 2 that your not spending money on long distance calls and local calls and all that. heck if you need to find a website that compares dial up to broadband and they will eventually get hte picture. I save a ton of money by paying the 1 month fee instead of paying several 1 month fees just to keep the internet at the house.

Is there a way for you to come up with the 20 dollars? That might be a good way to convince them. There is another way as well- the way we got high speed. I got my mom hooked on playing some yahoo game. lol. She made the desicion to go high spped on her own after using dialup.

Well, I'm not old enough to get the broadband myself, otherwise I would buy it in a heart beat. Regarding the dial-up with linux, for some reason, netzero will not authicate the connection without the netzero software. It really sucks that my parents just don't get the point.

I would have to agree with you. If you are on the internet a lot like me broadband would make the most sence. Maby you could make an effort to go on the internet when they most often make their phone calls. They will get very annoyed and either just boot you off the computer until they are done (very likely) or get you broadband (not likely but worth a try). Good luck to you I know how you feel I had dial up before and it was horrible.

you say that you get done for being on the phone for too long as well .... what do your calls cost ??.can you not use voip to do your communicating with your friends , then the money saved from that could go towards the cost of broadband.

what would you need broadband for? I've been on a 64k ISDN-line (slightly faster than dial-up) at home ever since we got our internet access 5 years ago and I never had any problems with that, neither in my everyday surfing habit nor when downloading large files (I've got friends who can afford broadband for that) - and for surfing, there's not that much of a difference between my verybroadband line at university and my ISDN line at home......well, I've made the effort to download a linux dvd image while at university today but I could have gotten that from a local linux user group as well......lacking imagination's situation is something worth complaining about...

So why don't you pay for it yourself? I've been on 56k since I got the internet 6 or 7 years ago. It isn't that bad.

209444[/snapback]

56k IS that bad. It has been around 10 years since I have been on 56k. When I was on 56k and other people were getting their 1.5mbit cable connections, I was saying the same thing. 56k isn't that bad, I only use it to check mail and surf internet lightly.

This is wrong. Especially in today's internet. There is so much content online (mp3, movies, etc.) there is simply no way 56k is enough. Even if you only check email online, hotmail and yahoo can be extremely slow loading those banner ads. Even this forum could be slow if on dial up.

Once you get high speed it is impossible to go back to dial up.

I've been asking for DSL or cable internet for over 3 years. My parents seem to think its not worth the 35 dollars to upgrade. We are paying 15 dollars now for the Netzero 3G(which doesn't work with linux). My parents also get extremely mad that I take up so much time on the phone, but they won't do anything about it. It just doesn't mane any sense to me why that they won't spend 20 more dollars to get broadband.

209427[/snapback]

I can totally relate to you!!! I begged and begged for my parents to get at least DSL or better, but alas, I was unsuccessful. try doing some chores or offer to pay for half of it or something. It'll work. IF it doesn't have a serious sit down talk with your parental units and give them a heartfelt sincere explaination of why you want it. You don't have to mean all the sincere crap but make it look believable. Hehe. :P