xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kservice

Best Anti-spyware For Windows Xp

I've read back a few posts with interest and have noted most of the discussion on security is about anti-virus software. However although I have had problems with viruses in the past most problems on my computer (and many others, I suspect) are now caused by spyware that are not detected by anti-virus progs. I'm currently using an older version of windows but will soon be getting a new computer with windows xp. I've been experimenting on my current computer with a number of trial anti-spyware packages (there seem to be very many of them). These include: spybot (freeware) ad-aware (freeware) I've found that these freeware progs identify many of the more 'harmless' types of spyware (internet cookies) together with 1 or 2 of the more serious ones, but no more than that. Spyware doctor spy sweeper (by webroot) spyhunter true sword Of these I found that 'true sword' detected a good number (20 or so) of exe files that had been corrupted in some way by spyware (the exe files had either been copied to a different location and corrupted or were new exe files put on computer by malicious spyware). My question for discussion is therefore, what is the most effective anti-spyware program (or combination of programs)? My preference is one (or 2) that requires a single one-off payment in return for unlimited free updates (rather than one that requires regular subscriptions).andrescasta

You are going to get many recommendations and mixed results. The main problem is that *spyware* is ill-defined. When you get your machine be sure to keep current with the Windows updates and then install one or two of the free programs. I use AdAware and Spybot. But with ZoneAlarm pro having spyware detection these other two rarely find anything.kservice