xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Elegost

Partitioning Software Need free partitioning software

Im looking for a good program to partition my harddrive. Ive tried a few demos of programs at download.com, but none of them actually let you partion your hardrive. I need some free software that is able to do this, and so far I havent beed able to find much. As well, I have a few questions avout partitioning. First of all is it possible to have all the programs on your compurt installed on their own partiton? Does having files on different partitions affect how fast your PC can find the files? Im really new at this, and I read an article the other day and was wondering how to do this. Hope fully you can help me out!Elegost

Partition magic is a good software for its kind... download it and try to find cracks B) thats what I did B)...if your planning to put every program in different partition then you are wasting your resources.. everytime you create a partition let say for example 1GB it is not actualy 1GB it would be around 900 MB since it needed disk space for its table that is use to allocate files for that partition. It also makes your OS runs a little bit slower although its not noticible.. its really not a good practice to do that.. what you should do is partition it in two, the first one is for the OS and the second one is to what ever use you want it for. YOu can put your mp3, games and other stuffs.. B) good luck...

Use a linux setup cd and let it partition your computer then "don't" install linux. This is not possible though in alot of distro which partition then (instantly) install linux. Randish Partitioner is also a good one.

there's always FDISK (MS-DOS-based partitioning utility).... BUT use it with caution, and only with a CLEAN/NEW harddrive. otherwise, you are likely to lose any data you currently have if you use FDISK and you don't know what you are doing. B) just be forewarned, partitioning is a risky business. B)

for more info/documentation/tutorial: http://fdisk.radified.com/