xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bddoan12

Motherboard Troubles (of Any Sort) post up when stuff happens to get help.

So basically, I have an Abit av8 thats giving all sorts of trouble. Whenever I try to play any type of highly 3d game, it crashes after about 5 minutes. I've read about the htt issues, and have lowered the htt multiplier...still no result. I've updated bios,drivers, re-seated the card...everything. Still crashes sporadically on stock settings. I'm sure its not any other component of the computer. Has anyone else had this problem/have the same setup as I do? Please help, resetting multiple times a day when I am in the middle of something is really annoying!Well anyways, here are the specs:-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Mobo: Abit AV8Ram: G-skill pc 3200 spd @ 2.5-3-3-7 <<runs at thatCPU: AMD 64 3200+ Venice CoreVPU: ATI 9600XT 128MBSanta Cruz Sound Card450W Power Supply <Tested and I'm sure its not a pw issue.If anyone could help, that would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

There's a possibility that it's a heat issue. Have you run any monitoriing software to check on the heat? Also, ATI has some monitoring software for their video cards. You might check their web site for the download.Have you contacted Abit tech support?

Yes heat cold be the source of your problem, one easy way to check would be opening up the computer case and let it run, if you can point an electric fan on it then it would be better, do the usual gaming and see if the problem will exist again.If the problem is still there you might want to check your card in another system, I have encountered lots of problems on this and mostly these systems uses ATI cards, don't get me wrong I have nothing against ATI, it could be some hardware issue specific to your card ot possibly a driver problem.

I used to work in a computer store as a technician and these kind of problems are often cause by heat. What i suggest to you is open the cover and check if your heatsink andfan is filled with dust. If it is, turn ob your computer, unpluging it would be a good thing to do, the softly brush off the dusts with a soft brush, then try it again.If the problem still persist, it might be that our thermal compound has dried up. If you're familiar with computer components and know how to handle them well, you could go buy a thermal compund (I would suggest artic silver 5). Before applying it, make sure the clean the processor and heatsink's surface with a tissue, then just put a little bit of the thermal compound in the middle of the processor (that where the core is and that's where the heat comes from), the size of a grain would be sufficient, then place your heatsink back, Firmly press it down so that the thermal compound spreads out (but not too hard as you would damage your processor) and lock the heatsink in place.A reminder, once you've placed the heasink back, do not attempt to take it out again because if you did, the thermal coumpound you've just put would be a waste, then you would have to do everything again. :)