xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
shaneroche

Partition Strategies Am I safe with mine?

I use seven disk partitions. This is the basic layout:c: os/program filesd: page filee: my docs/favoritesf: beta versionsg: eMule incoming/temp filesh: eMule archivei: Ghost imagesThe idea is this: 1. c: partition (5gb) is dedicated to os/program files. As the first © partition is made on the leading (outside) edge of the platter, the LINEAR velocity is greatest for the part of the disk containing THESE files. Additionally, program files cannot MIGRATE (during defragmentation) towards the center of the disk, which would slow access times to these files. 2. paging file is static and on a separate partition - no slowdowns as windows tries to resize this file (which it will in the default config).3. my other files are stored according to the speed with which I need access. For example, Ghost images are rarely accessed, so they are on the last (innermost) partition. Linear velocity is slowest here, but I don't care.My question really is this: I have an additional motive (besides speed) for storing MY FILES on a separate partition. I believe that viruses/worms/spyware/etc. infects the c: partition (system files/registry/etc). The problem with system restore (besides more system slowdowns), it seems to me, is that if you are hosed by a virus, and restore to a previous point, you lose all files created since last restore point. Keeping lots of restore points costs losts of hd space. So I Ghost only my c: partition, and if I have to restore with Norton Ghost, I can restore only the sys/prog files, leaving my (uninfected) personal files untouched. I have good security so I haven't had to test my theory yet. I have done lots of restores in the past 18 months though, as it takes 5 minutes to restore my system to the way it was ten minutes after I did a clean install of XP and all my programs. All the crap that accumulates that you can't remove I wipe by in essence doing a clean install, with programs, in five minutes, but leaving my personal files/movies/music untouched. I need a critique of this setup as well. I have already requested one of my security setup as well in the security forum.Thanks for everyones time and input.Forrest

The only critique I have is that never assume that since your files are located in different directories it will be safe. Majority of viruses will infect as soon as you access the drive. For example, a virus was installed in C drive and you accessed D drive to open a file. Now your D drive is infected. Virus works on the principle of READ-WRITE exploit.When you restore using Windows Restore Point, your files will still exist once restore is complete--that is if you saved it before restoration. What it will not restore is any installed program the point after the restore point. That means Windows Restore works off of your registry backup data. The program itself will still reside within your hard drive but your Windows OS will not recognize it as a valid program, thus you cannot use it unless you reinstall the program.In the past, I have captured some viruses that destroyed the master boot information or the partition information. When that occurs you are screwed. But other than that, you are in good shape especially with Norton Ghost. It's better than any average network clusters I have seen.

for your main uses such as program files and whatnot, why partition. Usually partitions are used for separate OS's. Making so many partitions may slow your computer down substantially. If you still want to do this, defragmenting your harddrive would be a smart thing to do, because making so many partitions on data that is already there could lead to data loss and corruption.

for your main uses such as program files and whatnot, why partition. Usually partitions are used for separate OS's. Making so many partitions may slow your computer down substantially. If you still want to do this, defragmenting your harddrive would be a smart thing to do, because making so many partitions on data that is already there could lead to data loss and corruption.

202463[/snapback]

Actually, I tested access times before and after partitioning. For boot and other system files, I saw measured no difference. But for program files there was a significant increase in access speed. Program files (and some system files) will migrate with defragmentation (not to mention the fact that programs added later may be located quite far from the leading edge of the platter. From a performance point of view, there are good reasons to partition.

BuffaloHELP answered my real question: Are separate partitions safe from infection? He (or she) also clarified my misunderstanding about how system restore works. I still want to find the way to do this without using system restore as it sucks up lots of disk space and RAM (when it decides to establish a restore point). I hate those slowdowns...

Thanks to everyone for the feed back.

Forrest