xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
guangdian

Check The Health Of Your Site. cpanel features: Errlog

--
your site sometimes just changed for the casual reason, you might changed the forum to another project.IPB to phpbb,or the CMS, Drupal to e107.and so on.your site will change.
and you have used the new site for one or two month,you think that,"oh,it's very nice,better than the old one."
but it's your opinion,the webmaster of the site.but except you, mostly 99% guests are viewing your site from the searching engines,they will not enter the correct url of your site,they just came from searching results.do you wanna to know what's wrong would happened?okay,let's go for it.
--
the google search results might contained so lots of old pages but the site wouldn't use,they are just not there,but only in results.if the guest click them,then got a 404 error page.this what the webmaster,you,don't wanna to see.you just wanna them click the right url.but they are not you.
how would you find that?
just opend your cpanel(Xisto's), scroll down you will find th image button of "Error log" on the category "

Analysis and Log files

".that is it.Click the "

Erro log

",you find that

Last 300 Error Log Messages in reverse order

,below it,it's the erro logs,you checked that,looking up what files are missing by the site view results.sometimes they are like that:

[Fri Nov  4 17:09:48 2005] [error] [client 218.19.69.105] File does not exist: /home/guangdi/public_html/pun/404.shtml[Fri Nov  4 17:09:48 2005] [error] [client 218.19.69.105] File does not exist: /home/guangdi/public_html/pun/favicon.ico
[Fri Nov  4 17:01:01 2005] [error] [client 218.19.69.105] File does not exist: /home/guangdi/public_html/pun/404.shtml
[Fri Nov  4 17:01:01 2005] [error] [client 218.19.69.105] File does not exist: /home/guangdi/public_html/pun/favicon.ico

oh,in the pun dir i missed the Favicon.ico and 404.shtml,i should do something with that.add the icon and 404 page.
that sometimes maybe the image missing,file missing,(like fdsa.htm).you would just added the missing file to navigate the users to the new page or Index of the site.
that is a really useful tools on cpanel.
PS:i just even can't make the custom 404 pages after i have read so many topics there.oh bad luck.that's might be the problem of .htacss,and the directory.

enjoy it.
guangdian