xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
grnjd

Laptop Screen Repair

Hi there, i ave a cracked lcd on my 15" compacq presario 2100. I was wondering if other 15" screens are compatible with my presario 2100? and would it be cheaper to buy a new laptop instead of fixing it or replacing it?

I have an older, smaller model of Compaq Presario 1230 and there are always parts available on eBay. Or Google it up. Might be somebody out there with a broken motherboard that would sell the parts.All I can say is 'best of luck'. I cracked the lcd on a digital camera that I paid $280 for and the replacement lcd was gonna cost $400, so I bought a newer, better camera for $275. (get the picture)?

yes, you can expect some stupid prices on the manufacturer's part. Luckily there are people who salvage parts from old laptops and sell them on places like eBay. Other LCD screens will probably not be compatible, but you can get rid of the screen altogether and plug the laptop to an external monitor. This will mean that the laptop will lose its portability but at least it will not be completely useless.

yes, you can expect some stupid prices on the manufacturer's part. Luckily there are people who salvage parts from old laptops and sell them on places like eBay. Other LCD screens will probably not be compatible, but you can get rid of the screen altogether and plug the laptop to an external monitor. This will mean that the laptop will lose its portability but at least it will not be completely useless.

200604[/snapback]

this is a great suggestion that you can follow in case LCD for your notebook is not available or not economical.

My friend accidentally smashed his notebook's LCD too and by just going to their service center they were able to replace it, even though it is under warranty he paid the cost of material say about 10% of the actual price, pretty acceptable for me.