xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jeune

Stupid Medal Of Honor A.i Why do programmers not strive 4 realism?

I know this might not be up to date but I wanted to play a first person shooter after getting bored with Half-life 1 and Counter-Strike. So I bought Medal of Honor Allied Assault. I appreciate the graphics and everything else except for one thing, the A.I or whatever you call that thing that controls your enemies(controlled by the computer).Sometimes in the game I just see my A.I opponents pop out from no where. I think that's stupid because the game claims it simulates world war II conditions. Did it happen in the actual war that the Germans just appeared from nowhere in thin air? If EA wantes to make the game harder they should have just placed in more enemy soldiers beforehand while the game is loading and not let them pop out of nowhere from a room where you just killed everyone.

Thats quite true, I don't like games that do this. You could have just destroyed a group of enemies hiding in a building and you are low on health and bam a bunch of enemies appear and wipe you out, you don't even get to see them as they usually appear behind you or somewhere above you.

I work at a local video chain over here, and I hear the same things you guys are saying with almost every customer that returns that game. I havn't had a single customer yet that has like the A.I. in that game....not one.....One suggestion, I know this may be off topic, but from what I've heard, the "Brothers in Arms" games are really good.....they don't have the crappy A.I.

the "Brothers in Arms" games are really good.....they don't have the crappy A.I.

201842[/snapback]

Thanks. :P I'll try to look it up in one of the stores near my place. I really hope it doesn't dissapoint.

After all, I just want to do something to vent all my emotions on after a hectic day at school (I do study a lot). And with Medal of Honor, sometimes it just makes things worse or relatively ruins a good day. :P

I know what you are saying. They need to improve A.I. not only in Modal of Honor but in a lot of video games that I have played. I think that the A.I.'s are not smart enough in video games because they constantly miss and shoot at me when I am way too far away for it to have any effect. This needs to be improved on by game developers. Some developers have improved A.I. but not enough.

This is one of the reasons why i love the Quake series (well Q2 and Q3).

All enemies are loaded into the map before you start and sometimes they do hilarious things, like fighting eachother :P I think ID software has one of the best game-engines around.

YOU could make a game that had awesome A.I. and all the bells and whistles and all that. However, that would mean no computer would be able to run it. There has to be brakes on these sorts of things. And since it can take years to get a game out, it can be difficult to aim poroperly, the way technology is leaping.

unfortunatelly, a pro programmer, especially for A.I in the video game industry, is extremely sought after... their arent enough of them, and they cost ALLOT! They are essentially the most payed on a production team. Creating realism is one of the hardest things to achieve, years of development have led to a certain amount of realism, but really we have yet to achieve/simulate half of true realism. Yes their are some great games in comparison to the game your talking about, but it all depends on the production team, their budgets, and the amount of available pro programmers specificlly advanced in A.I.Also, game developers must make a judgement call to do with game A.I and how it interacts with the user/majority of users, they try and make a medium for difficulty etc which is really hard to balence out. They dont want to make games thata re too hard, nor too easy, which requires extensive testing, beta's and suvey's

Creating realism is one of the hardest things to achieve, years of development have led to a certain amount of realism, but really we have yet to achieve/simulate half of true realism.

202406[/snapback]

I don't mind if the A.I is not that good or if the A.I can't shoot me well enough. What bothers me about realism is how the game runs as a whole. For instance, after clearing a room in the game(I swear I cleared that room and double checked it), a soldier or two spawns from nowhere and begins backstabbing you. That is such a downer if you ask me.

I am sure the programmers can program the game to load all the A.I characters before hand or set up multpiple loading events within the game just like what happens in Half-Life where there are many instances within the game where the game program has to load once again. I don't think it will have a an effect on production factors such as budget or number of available Pro programmers.

I don't mind if the A.I is not that good or if the A.I can't shoot me well enough. What bothers me about realism is how the game runs as a whole. For instance, after clearing a room in the game(I swear I cleared that room and double checked it), a soldier or two spawns from nowhere and begins backstabbing you. That is such a downer if you ask me.

I am sure the programmers can program the game to load all the A.I characters before hand or set up multpiple loading events within the game just like what happens in Half-Life where there are many instances within the game where the game program has to load once again. I don't think it will have a an effect on production factors such as budget or number of available Pro programmers.

202615[/snapback]

it's true what you say... they could have just simply done a very poor job on the game or releasing it too soon. I dont think i have tried the game, i have tried a few of the medal of honor games but only casually. I wish i could myself give my view on the A.I but i cant:(

I guess some games are poorly done in some aspects and great in others. Their must be some great aspects to the game:P