xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
andrescasta

Now That Ive Finished F.e.a.r.....

I have come to the conclusion that it is the biggest waste of potential ever. The gfx, sound, and combat were second to none. Ill give it that. But every other part of the game was horrendous. It was like they took the worst of doom 3, max payne, halo 2, and half life 2, sprinkled in a little metal gear solid and the ring, and this is what came out. Doom 3 should have taught them that there is nothing worse than having to trudge through nearly the exact same type of environment for the entire game. But you do. Story? What story? It still doesnt make any sense. It has about as much story as doom 3, and considering the way its told, which is almost exactly the same, through little voice messages, should not be surprising. It was a bad idea in doom 3, and its still a bad idea. You dont know who you are, you dont know who youre fighting, the ending doesnt make any of that clear, and throughout the entire game your doing something which inevitably gets pushed back even further. You barely ever accomplish a single thing. You barely interact with anyone, and those that you do, the interactions are pointless. The characters in the game are terrible. Halo 2 should have taught them that theres nothing worse than an ending before the game is over. There isnt even a boss fight. Its just, thats it? Wtf? The ending is nearly torn directly from half-life 2...I mean, theres even a giant orb! At least there was *some* closure in half life 2. What would really be cool is if every now and then throughout the game you get sucked into a psychadelic experience that makes nearly zero sense...was fun in max payne, but now it just seems retarded. Speaking of max payne, never mind the fact that the entire game youre fighting the same enemies (enemy soldiers), all of which are no challenge at all because you just hit the magic slowmo button, put a few nails in their head, lather, rinse repeat. And its not even that scary. Spooky, sure, but just like doom 3, it wears off quick. Then the rest of the game becomes a test of your patience. It was interesting, and would have been better if it was half as long, had at least one boss, at least one major change of environment, and at least some sort of interesting story. The official theme of this game is "wtf?", and not in a good way. Just look at it as a shooting gallery. andrescasta

I can't say i disagree with his review. I've played about 7 hours of the game so far, and I have no idea how far I am. I feel like I haven't accomplished anything in the game so far and the only reason i'm playing it still is hoping that it will get better (i'll get better weapons, new level, etc.) I don't understand what all the hype is about how people say the weapons feel great and all that. In my opinion they feel like crap. One click and 3 shots come out? I feel like I have no control over my own weapons. Not to mention I don't get any real satisfaction out of killing the enemies. Every now and then nail gun will get a satisfying kill when you nail their face to a wall, but i mean you got to hit them like 4 times until it actually nails them to the wall/cieling/etc. I want them to get nailed on the first hit! It doesn't make sense for the 4th one to be the charm or whatever. The slowmo is kinda cool, but you almost have to activate slowmo in order to kill the guys, otherwise they're so accurate they'll just instantly take you down. I also don' like it how you can't sneak in the shadows and stuff. The bad guys can' see you from a mile away even if you're crouched in the shadows behind some boxes if your peeking around the corner. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of lean feature? if they can see you regardless, why lean? Anyway, i'll play the game to the end just to see if it gets better, but so far I enjoyed my half life 2 experience much more than fear. kservice

It doesnt get any better. Honestly, if youve played it for an hour or two, you might as well have played the whole game. You are slightly less likely to get hit while leaning though. I thought the weapons were good, except for the smg and rifle. They dont have the powerful feel, they just feel weak. If anything, the volume on the gunshots needed to be turned up. That being said, if youve never played HL2, Doom 3, Max Payne 2, or Halo 2, you will probably think this is the greatest game ever. All three of those games were amazing in their own right. They had their low points though, and after playing them, those low points would make you want to not play them again. Doom 3 had a complete lack of story, since it was told through the retarded idea of voice messages. But it was *darn* scary, and at the very least, in the end of doom 3 you went through a vast change of scenery, to mars, to hell, and back again, and it was incredible. Fear managed to take the annoying parts, and leave out the good parts. The change of scenery is more like one type of building to another. Max Payne 2 had slowmo, and psychadelic experiences. But it was a very story driven game. The psychadelic experiences only furthered that, and the slowmo was cool, but you had to save it, and couldnt use it for every encounter. With a lack of expository storytelling to support it, the psychadelic experiences make almost no sense at all in fear. The ability to use slowmo constantly cheapens the game entirely. Again, takes the bad parts, leaves the good parts. Half-Life 2 was a game where you had to piece the story together as you went along. You didnt know what was going on in the beginning, and slowly but surely it all came to you. But you didnt learn this all from voice messages strewn around on random telephones in the game. You met characters, those characters told you what they knew, some helped you, some hurt you, but in the end, the story made sense, and you were a part of it. In fear, youre just plain lost. They tried to make a situation where you pieced the story together piece by piece, but it just didnt work. It was alright in doom 3 because there wasnt really meant to be much of a story. But this purports to be a story driven game thats supposed to scare you, and if it cant get the story across to you effectively, what the hell is the point. HL2 also had a weak, abrupt ending. But what followed up to that ending was practically orgasmic. You could tell the ending was coming, because the sh*t basically was hitting the fan. There was some resolution. Halo 2 had a very weak ending. But at least there was a boss fight, however weak it was. But it left you with a wtf, here comes the sequel ending. Fear just makes you wonder wtf they were thinking. In fact, the story is so weak, I still dont understand who the girl is, and who I was. Halo 2 also suffered from a problem where the entire level was so monotonous, and you were never given a clear goal on where to go. Often times Id find myself backtracking without even realizing it, because everywhere looks the *darn* same. Likewise for fear. I dont want to give the impression that I'm completely ragging on the game. I had fun. The gfx, sound, etc, made it a fun play. I had a good time cause of that. But never again, Im done with it. andrescasta

I do think the major drawback would be the length... it's way too short and it ended too quickly for the story to make more sense. But we all know that when the story isn't finished there could be a sequel. The paranormal experiences were a lot more creepier than anything in doom3 or any game I've played for that matter. Doom3 relied too much on stuff popping out at you, so it wasn't really fright it was just shock. FEAR is more "in your head" type of fright that works really well IMO. The slowmo is quite cool in that it's really usefull, unlike max payne where it was just a "look what I can do" type of gimmick. You say you have access it all the time and hate using it always, so don't use it so much! You can't complain about the game for something YOU'RE doing. Nice challenge I think. I think boss battles would ruin the mood that FEAR was going for. They wanted you to feel like something was going on in the real world, and a boss battle would add too much of the cheesy arcade shooter feel. Plus, all games have bosses so kudos for something different. And going on to the story. Yes it's still unclear who you really are playing as, but that Paxton guy does say "We came from the same mother" so you at least get a hint. And the little girl, Alma, is the daughter of the one chick you were trying to save as she ran to find her dad. kservice

The paranormal experiences were creepy, but they were *pointless*. They were random, for no reason whatsoever, youd end up back where you started, unless you get smacked by some weird half-bodied ghost thing, which might kill you in the nether realm. And wtf were those anyway? There was not a single endearing character in the entire game for you to love or hate. You are nameless and voiceless. Your squad members lack all personality and are with you for seconds at a time, with no explanation as to where or what theyre doing. Team leader is good for nothing but cursing every now and then over the radio. Other characters include the fat computer nerd guy, who was absolutely ridiculous in every way. He shows absolutely no fear when you run up on him, he's a petulant *BLEEP* throughout the entire game, gives away his position while eating cheesy poofs (come on!!), and gets shot at the end for "doing his job", which of course, was never explained, all the while being terribly acted. Alice wade, was a dumb idiot girl, who again, showed a complete lack of personality or emotion. Shes apparently super smart, but not smart enough to realize that running around this place is going to accomplish anything but getting yourself shot by the nameless army of paxton (why are they following him again?) or the ATC (again, who the hell were they?). Of course that doesnt happen, she gets captured by paxton of all people. Who is the main villiain throughout the entire game, and ends up going out like a sucker because you see him in your psychadelic trance, you shoot him once and he dies! Then you snap out of it, and its real. What kind of a game is this? Then theres the old dude who shoots the fat guy and does something through the glass at the end of the game that is so unmemorable that even though I beat it a few hours ago I still cant remember it. Then you press a few buttons, snap a few thingies into place, run out, finally get outside and see the light of day for the first time in the entire game, and then theres a nuclear explosion, WHICH YOU SURVIVE, only to wake up in a helicopter, which the little girl jumps up into. Why is your mom, in child form, which of course, makes no sense, trying to kill you? I honestly fail to see what part of the story or characters are interesting. Never mind the fact that you accomplish absolutely zero throughout the entire game, as your first objective "catch paxton fettel" will be your last, since something always gets in the way. Most games have bosses because killing one grants you a feeling of accomplishment, something which unfortunately, this game is completely and utterly devoid of. If they wanted you to feel like you were doing something in the real world, they would have clued you in as to wtf you were doing, and done away with the random nameless enemies and monotonous environments.andrescasta

I got this game on DVD too. But a friend told me that the game is too scary. The music, the shadows here and there and the graphics all bring the fear inside the soul out. He is a young man who enjoy horror movies, but still he thinks that the game is nightmarish. Therefore, I was detered from playing it. I am also worried with my hardware config. I have 1GB RAM and a P4 3.0 GHz CPUm but my graphics card is only a Raedon 9550. I wonder it will run smoothly on this computer.I got Quake 4 too. Just too busy to install these two games. Both FPS games are good, I think. Is F. E. A. R. better than Quake 4?

About the story...Alma is Alan Wade's first daughterAlan Wade works as a scientist for Armacham Technologies.Alma is endowed with an extraordinary telepathic capacity. Her father studies her capacities for the benefit of Armacham. Unfortunately Alma becomes more and more crazy and dangerous, so when she's 8 years old her father decides to lock her up it in "the room" and to plunge her in an artificial coma.She his 15 years old when she has a first baby for the needs of Origin project. During the childbirth she awakes from coma at the time when her father removes her child from her in order to continue his experiments on him. Height days later, Alma dies, or seems to die.This fisrt alma's son is what they call "protoype number 1". But he does not have the same telepathic capacities as his mother, and is considered as a failure.So Armacham genetically creates a second prototype, Praxton Pettel, from Alma's DNA.Is that clear (sorry for my bad english) ?Praxton Pettel's mind being under Alma's spirit telepathic control, the Origin project is abandonned, and the laboratory where Alma's body lies is definitively scealled.But Alma's spirit is not dead and she wants her baby back.And this "baby" is, of course, the player...Praxton Pettel only mission is to lead Alma's son to his mother so he delivers her... and prouve that, in fact, prototype number 1 was a complete success, as it is said at the end of the game's credits.