xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
andrescasta

Scsi Or Not Scsi

I currently have 2x 250gb Samsung p120's setup in raid 0 in my computer. Iv started looking at SCSI drives because i want some more speed (iv discounted the raptor because i can get 15k scsi drives cheaper). The scsi drives iv been looking at are the Maxtor Atlas 15K II 36.7 GB SCSI Ultra320 drives. Has anyone had any experience with these? They seem to get good reviews. I'v got an Asus A8N Premium motherboard which means im also going to have to purchase a SCSI controller card. Unfortunaltly i know nothing about SCSI, iv never used it, and i dont know what to look for I want something that is reliable, easy to setup, and relativly cheap. Does anyone have any recomendations for a good controller card? At the moment, this card here looks fairly promising: Dell 3DC PERC SCSI RAID controller card . Would this be compatible with the drives im getting? Im fairly proficcient with everything else on pc's, and i build my own, but SCSI is new territory for me.

The Maxtor Atlas 15k II 36GB is quiet at idle, runs cool, and has seek noise sort of like a Hitachi 7200rpm ATA drive. Not inaudible, but not the metal-can-of-BBs-being-shaken noise of the old-school stuff, either. Anyway, no surprise that I like mine, it is nice in the same way that my dual-core X2 3800+ is nice... the headroom may not always make its presence felt, but the performance delta can be quite large in some situations that cater to its strengths. I'm not using a fancy controller, either, just a vanilla LSI Logic Ultra160 card on 32-bit PCI. Good luck making up your mind If you're a typical home user, it may or may not make you happy. But what you buy on eBay, you can turn around and sell on eBay if you don't like it. kservice