xisto Community
abu7mad

Perl Question. Need hELp PLZ

First of all, thank you for the free web hosting @ Xisto.net.I am new to cgi scripting and lucky 2 find ur site for practicing and developing some new script also intend to have my first personal cgi website, when I wanted to install a cgi script I was requested the following information:Ask your provider for the path to perl, is it:#!/usr/bin/perl#!/usr/local/bin/perl#!/bin/perlPlease help.Thanx.

Hi there,

In my signature there are links which most of your questions might be answered. Check out cPanel Demo page link. This will tell you the exact path to CGI.

Please make sure that you are using QUOTE tags when using someone else's words. To use QUOTE tags

[QUOTE] << insert exactly >> [/QUOTE]
Observe other forum rules and BB codes. And before making a new topic search the forum. It's a must!

I hope this answers your question.

abu7mad:

When you login to your cpanel, you can try looking at the leftmost column, the second block that is titled "General Server Information". There, you will find that the path to perl is #!/usr/bin/perl, i.e., the first choice :P As a matter of general principle, when you want to test a perl installation on any server, you could copy the following:

#!/usr/bin/perl####  printenv -- demo CGI program which just prints its environment##print "Content-type: text/plain\n\n";foreach $var (sort(keys(%ENV))) {    $val = $ENV{$var};    $val =~ s|\n|\\n|g;    $val =~ s|"|\\"|g;    print "${var}=\"${val}\"\n";}

into a plaintext editor, save it as printenv.pl, upload it to your public_html directory, and run it from there to look up information on the perl installation. I am not sure if you could/should do this on Xisto, though, and since you only need the path, that's almost certainly #!/usr/bin/perl.

Hope this helps :P

Cheers and good luck with the CGI stuff.