xisto Community
Sevesz

Time. What Is It To You? Bleh...

I suppose I'll just start jabbering about reflections of life and such. For the first time in my entire life, I've been waking up lately thinking to myself, "I'm getting old", and by old I don't mean wrinkly and on my death bed, that's ridiculous, I'll save that for a mid-life crisis. But I'm talking about the point in your life where you realize that every day that goes by, slips by, and you begin to feel the breath of the predator of time breathing down your neck for the very first time. Days don't seem long enough, even if you sleep less than 6 hours a day. All your childhood/teenage passions and joys begin to seem 'silly' or 'bothersome', small things... like picking up a new video game and submersing yourself in the plot and stuff, or going out to be social with your friends and going to bars or parties or clubs and dancing and being young. The measuring stick of your accomplishments becomes infinitely longer. It seems as if time passes twice as quickly as you are used to, to the point where you look back at your life over just the past year and think to yourself, "What the Hell just happened? It all went so fast. wtf!" And like a bad joke, time is whispering in your ear, reminding you ever so casually how fast your life is slipping by you. At least this is the case for me. Problem is, every now and then, there's the sensation in me to pick up and drift again. It's a mixed blessing!

It's sad. Times go fast, one minute, I'm 13, another minute I'm 16, then 20, then 25... It's so fast. It's like, what the hell, did I really waste that much time? I wasted my life!That's what I think. It's sad. My 13-19 year old days were full of wasting my damn time.

Yes. I feel like if the same thing has happened to me. When I was 13 - 19 years old, I would have all the time in the worlds. I look back to those days and it is sad to remember how I wasted a lot of time. Right now, days are full of activities from the second I get up in the morning. ^_^

I'm only a teenager, but it takes me a while to convince myself that XDI keep sitting down and can't help but wonder..."What did I do in the past 13 years of my life?"it's scarry and sad. Before you know it, you'll be some old person with grandchildren close to dying. What a waste.

I may be a teen, but I do think of that sometimes. Like at first I was just occupied with the freedom of kindergarden, but now, as I set my gaze forwards, I realise that so much time has passed me by, and most of it wasted. So here I am currently now working on my portfolio, and consentrating on finding a good career!Crazyness!

Well - I am in my teens as well. I have always liked to imagine it's crucial to have a certain sense of respect for your time, although I am not sure if I have followed up this attitude as much as I'd have liked to. I day dream a lot - and for the sake of convenience I tell my self that day dreaming is not a waste of time, because it can be... erm... good for relaxation and mental fitness ^_^ But seriously, I do think that everything we do contributes in some way or the other to our state of being, so you can't really be wasting time, because no matter how you spend time, your self is evolving and maturing on the basis of whatever you've done with your existance so far (although the side effect is that this development could be negative or positive, depending on how you want to look at it). Does that make sense? Perpaphs a little (ok, considerably) impractical and idealistic, but definitely convenient ^_^

It's good to keep yourself occupied. With whatever (as long as it's legal, heh). I have found things are lot simpler when you have things to do, things to keep your mind occupied. I think the poem "Next, Please", by Philip Larkin says it all - I definitely identify with it to a large extent, in spite of the fact that it is a rather melancholy poem, and I generally settle down more easily with bubbly ones. For those who haven't read it, stay tuned to the post :lol:

Next, Pleaseby Philip Larkin.

Always too eager for the future, we
Pick up bad habits of expectancy.
Something is always approaching; every day
Till then we say,

Watching from a bluff the tiny, clear
Sparkling armada of promises draw near.
How slow they are! And how much time they waste,
Refusing to make haste!

Yet still they leave us holding wretched stalks
Of disappointment, for, though nothing balks
Each big approach, leaning with brasswork prinked,
Each rope distinct,

Flagged, and the figurehead wit golden *BLEEP*
Arching our way, it never anchors; it's
No sooner present than it turns to past.
Right to the last

We think each one will heave to and unload
All good into our lives, all we are owed
For waiting so devoutly and so long.
But we are wrong:

Only one ship is seeking us, a black-
Sailed unfamiliar, towing at her back
A huge and birdless silence. In her wake
No waters breed or break.

Source: http://www.poetryconnection.net/poets/Philip_Larkin/4566

Cheers!

Time is resources, and since we used up time, there is a product to it. ON that take, I agree with mama_soap. When you all mention that you all have wasted time, I kind of have a contrading opion on that. I mean, If you were to be able to go back, would you much likely spend your time much more efficient? Probably not, right?Why not? Well, it could be possilbe that society makes it that way. Does not many of us consider a career to be 1 of the most accomplished thing in life? But unless we are super geniuses, we have to spend a dozen years to complete high school, then couple of years to progress with the requirements.Yeah, some roads require less schooling, but many people probably agree with me that we learn more than we need to for our career. I'm not saying it's a waste because it does make one more of a rounded person.Still, time is a limited resourse in life, and many, ok, at least some will be wiling to be less of a well-rounded person, but are able to progress with their career sooner.IN other words, b4 u're 18, society pretty much limits your power. And the less power you have, the less effective the choices you can make.therefore, my view is that society made it that way so that you are likely to waste your time.It's part of LIFE, i guess. Time is there to use, and we as humans do not use sparingly.

..I've wasted an awful lot of my time wondering what time actually is. I spent an hour long car ride thinking about it this morning, actually..

Its not wasted, though, not if you really think about it. If you change even one thing in a line of things you change everything. In some weird and twisted way, the fact that you sat home and did nothing in your teenage years could have eventually led you to your current significant other/husband/wife. You change one thing in your past and you end up changing everything.. so as long as you're reasonably happy with where you are, nothing is a wasted moment.

On the other hand, it makes you wonder what could have been if you did something different... and this is what gets me. You can never know where something is going to lead you, any of it, so you can't pick what outcome you'd like. Thats why I have such a problem talking to people when I like them, or telling someone when I don't, or commiting to go somewhere on a trip, anything that makes you think more than an instant. Because once its done, its done, and it can't be changed or fixed.

Ahh, I have to stop thinking about this. Its confusing me any more.. Anyways, nothing you do is wasted as long as you like what came out of it eventually. Just don't get caught up in thinking about the other alternatives, like me.. ^_^'