xisto Community
broflovski

What Do You Consider Power? I wanna know.

Depends on one's definition of "power". Everyone has their own defintion of "power".

Power is when you can do anything that you know you are capable of doing, doing it to the best of your abilities in acheiving and accomplishing your goals and dreams. OVERCOMING obstacles. (my defintition) LMAO.

Ok. so.....what about u people?
One guy told me:

gun = poweryou can have $100,000,000,000, but that can't defend you against a gun

Here's my take on this, do with it what you will. It's interesting to think about power side-by-side with the principles that one follows when wielding it. So, here are some quick thoughts about power and wisdom1. Power:A. The ability to bring to life one's ideas and desiresB. The ability to influence/control the perceptions of others2. Wisdom:A. Conforming one's perceptions to the nature of realityB. Bringing to life/sustaining that which is in harmony with realityLots of #1 without much #2 is scary. Lots of #2 without much #1 is sad. Interesting question, thanks!

I consider power to essentially be the ability to influence others, in small or large groups. Whether this is out of a renowned wealth of knowledge or wisdom, a position in which you have been placed, or however else you managed to attain your sphere of influence, that is what I view power as. But naturally, power comes in many forms.And while $100,000,000,000 couldn't directly protect you from a gun, it could buy you protection (of course, no amount of money can protect you from absolutely everything without exception - there's no escaping this thing we call 'life', part of which involves death).

As curtesy of Dictionary.com.....

The ability or capacity to perform or act effectively. A specific capacity, faculty, or aptitude. Often used in the plural: her powers of concentration.
Strength or force exerted or capable of being exerted; might. See Synonyms at strength.
The ability or official capacity to exercise control; authority.
A person, group, or nation having great influence or control over others: the western powers.
The might of a nation, political organization, or similar group.
Forcefulness; effectiveness: a novel of unusual power.
Chiefly Upper Southern U.S. A large number or amount. See Regional Note at powerful.

The energy or motive force by which a physical system or machine is operated: turbines turned by steam power; a sailing ship driven by wind power.
The capacity of a system or machine to operate: a vehicle that runs under its own power.
Electrical or mechanical energy, especially as used to assist or replace human energy.
Electricity supplied to a home, building, or community: a storm that cut off power to the whole region.
Physics. The rate at which work is done, expressed as the amount of work per unit time and commonly measured in units such as the watt and horsepower.
Electricity.
The product of applied potential difference and current in a direct-current circuit.
The product of the effective values of the voltage and current with the cosine of the phase angle between current and voltage in an alternating-current circuit.
Mathematics.
See exponent.
The number of elements in a finite set.
Statistics. The probability of rejecting the null hypothesis where it is false.
A measure of the magnification of an optical instrument, such as a microscope or telescope.
powers Christianity. The sixth of the nine orders of angels in medieval angelology.
Archaic. An armed force.

adj.
Of or relating to political, social, or economic control: a power struggle; a power base.
Operated with mechanical or electrical energy in place of bodily exertion: a power tool; power car windows.
Of or relating to the generation or transmission of electricity: power companies; power lines.
Informal. Of or relating to influential business or professional practices: a pinstriped suit with a power tie; met with high-level executives at a power breakfast.

tr.v. powˇered, powˇerˇing, powˇers
To supply with power, especially mechanical power.

Checkmate.

To me, power is the ability of oneself to independently live and support oneself.Though a helping hands is often necessary at times, I think one who least depend on others is the most powerful, no matter if depending on others for social activities or live support.

you're cheating, hiaito ^_^my understanding of power goes along with spectre's,"Power is to be able to make people do something they don't want to do [in some cases, add: without them noticing that they didn't even want to do this]"

There are two ways I think of power.1) The ability to influence and control others, whether they want to follow your actions or not. Ie, George Bush making happy marriage illegal, since his religion doesn't believe in it (did that ever happen?).2) The power to control yourself. If you can control yourself, know ultimately where you are, what you think and believe, and what you do, then you are much more powerful than any president or leader of any sort. If you have enough power over your body and mind, you can physically push yourself to any limit. There are an awful lot of people who can't do that. Both are important.. now if only we could get someone with both :\