xisto Community
Hamtaro

Bad Web Hosts

I've got a question that I'd like to ask:What's the WORST web host you've ever used? Please give the URL (If you can), and explain why.Honestly, I'm not sure of the worst...I did use AngelFire for file storage, then they disabled direct linking, so that is one of the worsts for me... It's more of a tie with me. Between AngelFire and GeoCities. I don't like GeoCities (which I've said this before) because it offers so little bandwith, and other reasons.

The worst I'VE used is freewebs.com.It sucks, plain and simple, the edit pages part sucks, and no php or anything like that.I still have one but its only to upload sigs and other pics so I don't have to use space on my sub.The WORST host.......lycos.

Edited by Triple X (see edit history)

I've got a question that I'd like to ask:What's the WORST web host you've ever used?
Please give the URL (If you can), and explain why.
Honestly, I'm not sure of the worst...I did use AngelFire for file storage, then they disabled direct linking, so that is one of the worsts for me...  It's more of a tie with me.  Between AngelFire and GeoCities.  I don't like GeoCities (which I've said this before) because it offers so little bandwith, and other reasons.

Oh yea Geocities, Angelfire and others like them, really suck because they give so little free stuff and still put ads all over your site. Its bad enuf that you can't have enough space/bandwitdh for your stuff, and they have to put ads all over so that visitors won't come back? Ohhh maann.. Maybe they do that so that visitors won't come back and then they can save some bandwitdh :rolleyes: That's just a thought...

The ONLY good thing about GeoCities, is that the ad on the page can be closed. (At least it could the last time I checked). It still has pop-ups on it, though...which I hate. Oh, and that was a pretty good thought...even though it's probably not why they'd want to do it. I'd say it's because they don't want to spend money on free accounts.

i have applied for several acounts at aboho.com and websume.com which offer u free host web,but they are not very good in feature i think.lucky i find the Xisto heard from my friend,owing to the good site, i set up my website and forum,by the way i could practise my english and improve my knowledge in all kinds of fields... :rolleyes:

It is really stupid to say "Oh Host X only offers 10 MB so they suck" or other similar remarks.

The specs alone cannot make a host suck. In this example, 10 MB may be just fine for some people. Not everyone needs a website that is over-burdened with fancy-dancy things *cough cough*.

If the webhost only offers 10 MB and 1 GB of bandwidth, it doesn't suck. It just simply doesn't meet the demands of most the members HERE.

Now, what WOULD make a webhost suck is if they claimed to offer the 10 MB but only gave 2. A host that is honest and delivers exactly what they say they will doesn't suck. I would rather do business with the 10 MB host than one that claims to offer 10 GB but doesn't. Do you see what I mean? It's hard to explain.

Of course yall know of the infamous geocities and angelfire lycos ones. I hate the ads they put on there even though you can put a code to block that but its not recommended. Oh I wait tripod is one too. They all suck. Just good for file storage and sometimes hotlinking if permitted. Other sites just don't offer enough functionalities for our demands these days. Back then you only needed some things and now there's more to wanted. Like Fantastico De Luxe and other stuff. That's why Xisto is a superior host to other ones.

The host I am on now is great, offers more space than Trap 17 with fewer posts (I won't advertise the competition here, so I won't give the name or URL)BUTTheir application process has pretty much come to a hault, so new members aren't getting it (for now). I am here just to hang out with the community and talk. --- back on topic ---Whether or not a host sucks all depends on perspective and what one needs. A personal site owner is not going to need an assload of databases and fancy PHP programs for example. I think the "This host sucks" remark should be changed to "This host isn't usefull to ME" in most cases. Of coarse, if it's slow, too many ads, etc than it does genuinly suck. However, the "suck" judgement is mis-used in most cases.

I never said that a web host "sucks", but there are some that I don't like. Which, my current host (Hoping to soon be "Old Host") is ProHosting, which has had FTP trouble for about 3 weeks now, and they haven't posted anywhere on the site about it. (They do have, on your account page, that they are having trouble with the Web Utility, but they didn't say anything about the FTP.) I have to use Windows Explore to view the contents of my site. I also can't log in right with FTP (Windows Explorer, and other FTP clients). I have to type my user name and password in the address, which is fine, but Windows Explorer doesn't have enough FTP features. I would like to be able to use something other than Windows Explorer for uploading files. I'd also like to know what the deal with this problem is...Oh well, I'd might as well not complain. At least now I can access my files to move them if I need to.